PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Flat Dunes - Death Valley

Michael Pancier
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
The dunes at DVNP are amazing. I just wish it were possible to get shots without so many footprints. The afternoon light is the best yet by then, the dunes have been trampled by many and are replete with footprints.

Occasionally you can find a piece of dune as I did here though. This was shot before sunset during those brief minutes when the sun illuminates the ripples in the dunes.

I always keep the little panasonic to capture those quick moments like this one. The light on the dunes lasted only a few minutes. (then again I was carrying three cameras, the 5d, the Mamiya 7ii 6x7 MF as well).

Panasonic DMC-FZ8 w/tiffen polarizer
1/125
f/3.6
ISO 100
focal length 6mm

David Kennedy
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
There's something about the framing of the vegetation, and the way it intersects with the sky, that bothers me to some degree. It may also have to do with the way the foreground plant merges into more brush in the background. Controlling the placement of these elements would probably help to improve upon this idea.

That said, I love the lines that lead the eyes into the image, to the brush and finally to the mountains in the background.

Jason Hahn
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
The lines in the sand are great, really pull you into the scene to the distant range. Even though, you pretty much follow the "rule" of thirds with this image, I think this may be one of the times where it just doesn't quite work. To me the placement of the tree is a little off too, it almost feels like it is between me and what I want to see, the distant hills, and that I keep trying to see around it. Part of it may be that to me the tree itself is not that "scenic", maybe moving it closer to the edge so it frames the scene instead of being such a dominant part of it would help. Nice job finding a relatively undisturbed area of the dunes, and working with the nice light you had for a few moments.

Jason

Paul Marcellini
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I think maybe a step or 2 right would have turned the foreground brush and background brush into a better leading line, to move with the sand. I bet it was beautiful, I love dune shots.