PDA

View Full Version : Tundra Swan

Krishna Prasad kotti
03-01-2019, 12:24 AM
I made this image at Bear River Migratory Refuge UT.

Every year we have thousands of Swans in Bear River Refuge. Lots of Tundra Swans, some Trumpeter Swans. This is my third visit and almost every time they were very far away in the refuge.

This Year due to heavy snow water areas were frozen and there were some water close to the Auto loop which is perfect for Sunset.

When I visited the Refuge it was full over cast with no light at all.

I waited for 2-3 hours and sun peaked though during sunset and made this image from my car using my new Gear

Nikon D500, 600 f/4 + 1.4x TCIII
1/5000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 800
Matrix Metering, Manual Mode

White Balance and color cast was a big challenge, to make sure that the image is not too blue and bird are not yellowish.

Post Processing:-

Raw using C1P
Clone out White reflection of another swan at top right hand corner
Neat Image NR
Nik 25-25 Filter

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
Krishna

kevin Hice
03-01-2019, 05:49 AM
Krishna nice to see some swans. I think you did pretty good on the color cast and processing.In this case wish they had a little more head angle.Sun definitely helps gives a little more pop.
I have some problem as for distraction where the head meets a dark line at the top maybe between ice and open water.Also the reflection at the bottom maybe clone out or crop to get
rid of the second reflection.

David Cowling
03-01-2019, 11:05 AM
A good job in difficult lighting conditions. I like that the left hand bird is talking to us, also the foot lift. I too would like it if you were to loose the second reflection.

John Mack
03-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Like the swans on the ice. Both look to be sharp. The light looks nice. I saw a couple on the lake the other day. Too far away for any photos though.

dankearl
03-02-2019, 02:38 AM
The left bird has a very nice pose. you needed both.