PDA

View Full Version : Short eared owl

Mike Poole
02-28-2019, 06:39 AM

A friend has been talking about these owls all week, so finally a day off work and I headed up. Most of the shooting was straight into the sun, so although the action was good the light wasn't. Fortunately a bit further up the path there was a golf course and this one gave me close pass with the sun behind. Great couple of hours with these beauties, but as the best light came I had to go home for dad duties. I was nearly in tears!

@ Jon Ashton - Jon, was that you I was talking to for a couple of minutes about the day before being even better? I realised as I was driving home I thought it was you - too late to say hi then! If so, hope you got good passes in the late light

Canon 1dx
500mm f4 + 1.4x
ISO 1000
1/2500th f6.3

Mike

gail bisson
02-28-2019, 06:47 AM
What a killer BG. Love the light and the POV.
Nice to see the feet.
The owl seems "redder" than the SEO's I have seen. Could there be a bit of a magenta cast on the bird?
Would have loved to have a bit better HA but it seems only Arash can get these guys to look at the camera as they fly by!!:bg3:
Would love this one in my files.
Gail

Krishna Prasad kotti
02-28-2019, 09:43 AM
I think that there is some color cast on the bird. Not sure what it is. I might be wrong as well.

Congrats on the capture.

Background colors are looking good.

TFS

annmpacheco
02-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Really nice Mike close, details, and super good BG. Surely if you had a look your way but next time, also yes to ?re/magenta? Nice capture.

Jonathan Ashton
02-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Great shot Mike and YES I was there! I too was almost in tears I have quite a number of decent images. I was in fact just about to post one of the owls myself.
Sorry I didn't spot you but you are right it was me eulogising over the opportunity I have been going down since January several times a week and at last some luck. Perseverance paid off.
Your image is beautifully defined and sharp well done. (My settings were identical for many images but for one day I used 5D IV). HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!

William Dickson
02-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Looking good Mike...Lovely flight pose and nice BG. I would try reducing the reds a little. Well captured.

Will

John Mack
02-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Looks spot on to me. Nice owl and nice light with a nice background.

Bill Dix
02-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Terrific capture, Mike. Sharp and clean, great wing position. Some day I'll get one in the light.

Alex Becker
02-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Very nice. Great wing position, sharp, nice light. I might do a touch more NR to the BG. Agree re: a possible color cast. Overall superb, TFS

dankearl
02-28-2019, 11:11 PM
Critique issues mentioned, that is one nice look at an Owl, eye contact or not.
Nice work.

arash_hazeghi
03-01-2019, 01:40 AM
love the BG and the wing position, great details too just wish for a bit of head turn

TFS

Mike Poole
03-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I did reduce the reds in the the shot somewhat, maybe I'll try reducing them a little more

cheers

Mike

Jim Crosswell
03-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Excellent image Mike! I like the wing position, BG, IQ, sharpness and composition. I'm fine with the HA and would love to have this in my files.