PDA

View Full Version : Short-eared Owl #2

Bill Dix
02-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Another frame of the same bird from last week. Looks like a Short-eared Owl to me. Same low light so some of the same issues. A little closer than the frame posted two days ago, although I liked the grass setting of the first one.

Thank you all for looking at the previous post. That thread was inexplicably closed to comment from rank and file less than 24 hours after posting (although Isaac and Artie continued to post their discussion of it after the thread closed), so I was unable to respond. Thus I didn't get a chance to thank all of you for looking. I always appreciate, and learn from, your constructive comments.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 4000, 1/2000s @ f/6.3 manual; Gitzo and Mongoose.

John Mack
02-27-2019, 04:20 PM
I think i like this more. Frame has a nice mood to it. Nice pose as well.

kevin Hice
02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
I like this because of the head angle little more towards you. and a little larger.First one was good . I would be happy with either.

dankearl
02-27-2019, 07:45 PM
I like it more also, better angle in the frame and noise is less noticeable on the bird.

annmpacheco
02-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Hi Bill, I like this owl and the clean dark BG. Less noise, and sure would like to see more sharpness but boy you are getting closer to the shorties by the day!

greg cowle
02-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Although I like the habitat in the last image, the framing was a bit awkward compared to this one, which is spot on for mine.

Alex Becker
02-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Congrats on getting this (and the last one) Bill. I know how tough this location is. I've only seen one this year and it was way off in the rain. I like this one more than the last, although I did like the grasses. If you cropped this in, I would actually loosen it a tad, but that's just personal taste. IMO, IQ is also better in this one, although I may back off the contrast a bit. There is a hot pixel (?) under the near wing that draws my eye I would clone out. TFS, and congrats again on getting a shot thats very hard to come by in our area

Bill Dix
03-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Thank you all. Good suggestions. I'll try a version with slightly looser crop and less contrast.