PDA

View Full Version : the salmon dance

greg cowle
02-27-2019, 05:32 AM
Kamchatka brown bear has had her first swipe at the salmon, twirling around for the catch.
I was set up for static bear when I got dynamic bear, hence the aperture, but kept focus tracking nicely on the eyes, and the paw with those great claws are pretty much on the same plane, so it worked out. Creamy background to boot.
400mm, 1/1600, f3.2, ISO1000.
Kuril Lake, Russia, last August.

Arthur Morris
02-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Killer image beautifully processed. I love soft light for most of my photography and for bears it is pretty much a necessity.

with love, artie

Gabriela Plesea
02-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Very nice image Greg, love the composition and colours. Image quality is great, this is well processed and sharp where it matters.

Wonderful expression from the bear - super timing! This is one of your best images from what I have seen, congratulations!

Kind regards,

greg cowle
02-28-2019, 04:46 AM
Thanks for dropping in to Wildlife Artie, and yes, I did get some sweet light at the lake.

Thanks Gabriela, this one has been the wallpaper on my iPad Pro since the trip, so I guess I must like it too, even seeing it many time a day!

Basil Dardagan
02-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Wow !! World class imo !! The detail in the face is spectacular

Marc Mol
03-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Cracking good shot here Greg, the soft light, techs, colour, placement in frame plus overall quality is all there, the leading paw and head turn are the cherry on top!

Your best BPN submission by a country mile. :cheers:

TFS

John Mack
03-01-2019, 05:58 PM
This works very well. The pose on the bear is nice and the composition is well balanced. Really like the splashing water.

Rachel Hollander
03-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Hi Greg - This is a beautiful, action shot. Nicely captured and processed. I agree it is the best that I have seen you post. Only suggestion I have is that the yellows in the ulc catch my eye a bit. I would tame or eliminate them. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2019, 04:53 AM
Greg this is the stuff dreams are made of! Great shot super timing, I like the composition, many would be tempted to go tighter but I like it as it is.

Chris van Rooyen
03-03-2019, 06:37 AM
Its all been said:5 The soft light complements the textures on the bear very effectively

haseeb badar
03-04-2019, 04:31 AM
HI Greg -- This is a lovely shot as mentioned above . Loved the pose and the framing. IMO , the contrast especially the blacks on the Bear are slightly strong IMO and hence affecting the finer details.

Very nicely done.

TFS !

greg cowle
03-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Thanks all for the comments. It is great when the subjects and the light are in sync!