PDA

View Full Version : Cherohala Skyway

Judd Patterson
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/skyway.jpg

The $100 million "road less traveled." I saw very few cars on this road just an hour or so from Great Smoky Mountains National Park (which was packed and not fun to photograph). The color was better here too...don't always follow the crowds. :D

Canon 5D, 105mm, 3 images merged
1/30, f/9, ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Judd,

Nicely composed with the switchbacks in the hills. When did you make this image? The fog/low cloud is a nice atmospheric effect that establishes depth in the image.

David Kennedy
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Judd,
Don't tell me this was there two weeks ago? Seriously? Please tell me this was from last fall or something....

In any event, I generally like the composition. I do feel that a litlte more (darker) sky could have been included, or a composition that included none of it, but I do like the little bit of mist/fog on the cliff.

Did you try any telephoto images of this location?

David

Judd Patterson
06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah guys, this was taken last fall (October 24). The sky was really a very boring flat gray...the only interest I could pull from it was the occasional low-hanging cloud as you see in the upper-left. I tried a second day and only got more of the same and steady rain as well. I did do some telephoto work on the hills...will try to share one in landscape soon.

Paul Marcellini
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Nice, so you can fill a whole wall with this huh? I never had a great fall while up in Tenn for school. This is beautiful. Comp really works for me too.

Maxis Gamez
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Lovely Judd. Excellent eye and composition.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Wonderful image and wonderful lesson. Impeccable framing and COMP. Colors to die for.

Gayle Clement
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Wonderful colors, Judd. I love this road but my husband hates driving it. It would be worth it for fall color like this.

Noel Carboni
07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh how I wish to be where the leaves change when the leaves change. As a Florida resident all my life, and with more or less "typical" vacation time in the summer, I've yet to see this kind of foliage in person.

Like you, I seek the roads less traveled, and have made many discoveries of gorgeous spots that way.

Thank you for sharing the colors, and renewing my desire to get into the woods up north in the Fall. :)

-Noel