PDA

View Full Version : Another northern pintail

arash_hazeghi
02-25-2019, 01:56 AM
This is another northern pintail frame form Esquimalt lagoon in Victoria ,BC. I spent about 40 minutes here shooting some ducks and saw quite a few different species. this frame shows the under wing details

shot with D850 and 500PF ISO 640 f/5.6 at 1/3200 sec hand held processed with C1P

hope you like it

kevin Hice
02-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Great shot Arash. Details are great and focus on the whole bird is great focus just starts falling off at the primaries.Love the colors and detail. Pintails are one of my favorites.Nothing to say other than fantastic and gives me motivation to capture one.

gail bisson
02-25-2019, 08:22 AM
What a killer BG! Really adds to this lovely flight shot.
I see some blue in the tail and wings- is that the reflection from the water? (I absolutely do not want to get into a color cast discussion:Whoa!:)
Gail

Alex Becker
02-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Very nice BG, details, pose, and beautiful catchlight. My only nit is the faint white lines from the tree (?) in the BG touching the head and beak. I would just soften those a bit as it draws my eye slightly. I only ever see these ducks flying away so this is great. TFS

annmpacheco
02-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Very nice Arash, love the BG, the pintail colors look off to me, a bit too washed and bluish in the mentioned tail feathers as well as the under feathers of the wing, especially at edge... Good suggestion form Alex.

Ivan Sjogren
02-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Superb flight shot! Great wing position, details and BG. I like the droplets on the belly too! Good things mentioned allready about the blue in the tail and wing (but might be a reflection as said) and the distant tree interesting with the head.

arash_hazeghi
02-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Very nice Arash, love the BG, the pintail colors look off to me, a bit too washed and bluish in the mentioned tail feathers as well as the under feathers of the wing, especially at edge... Good suggestion form Alex.

Hi Ann colors are good on my calibrated NEC. As discussed before it depends on your monitor and its calibration. There is a bit of blue on the tail from the water below but rest looks good to me

arash_hazeghi
02-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Very nice BG, details, pose, and beautiful catchlight. My only nit is the faint white lines from the tree (?) in the BG touching the head and beak. I would just soften those a bit as it draws my eye slightly. I only ever see these ducks flying away so this is great. TFS

Thanks Alex, that's good advice I will soften the OOF tree bark a bit.

John Mack
02-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Very nice frame of this pintail. Looks spot on to me.

Bill Dix
02-25-2019, 04:52 PM
A beautiful flight shot with perfect pose and exquisite detail.

Jim Crosswell
02-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Excellent image Arash! I like the wing position, IQ, details, composition and sweet BG.

Arthur Morris
02-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Even with the spectacular upper wing detail of the first one I like this one much better. What I do not understand is why a raptor photographer like you would lower themselves by photographing ducks ... I do love all the detail and the blue-tail as well :)

with love, artie

dankearl
02-25-2019, 11:23 PM
Arash, I have looked at your work for years and am still inspired..
I like your ducks as much as your raptors.
This is first rate and the colors look fine to me and I like the blues in the feathers, not unnatural
for water birds...
The BG appears a tiny bit blurred in PP as opposed to just NR is my only critique.
Let me know when the BIF field seminar is?

arash_hazeghi
02-26-2019, 03:48 AM
Arash, I have looked at your work for years and am still inspired..
I like your ducks as much as your raptors.
This is first rate and the colors look fine to me and I like the blues in the feathers, not unnatural
for water birds...
The BG appears a tiny bit blurred in PP as opposed to just NR is my only critique.
Let me know when the BIF field seminar is?

Thanks Dan, I never blur my BG's.

I am working on a Nikon BIF guide, then workshops :) this image is from Victoria, BC closer to where you live.

arash_hazeghi
02-26-2019, 03:51 AM
Even with the spectacular upper wing detail of the first one I like this one much better. What I do not understand is why a raptor photographer like you would lower themselves by photographing ducks ... I do love all the detail and the blue-tail as well :)

with love, artie

I like ducks too, but with a side of rice :D JK

Raptors are much harder to find and honestly I got tiered of harriers which I have been posting for a while now...wish I had the time to travel more and find new species.

Dorian Anderson
02-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Looks great Arash! I've been to Vancouver 2x but never made it to Esquimalt. Perhaps next winter. I love flight shots of ducks. They don't get the respect they deserve. There are more good raptor flights shots out there than there are duck flight shots!

David Salem
02-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Wow!! looks awesome buddy!! Nice to see you shooting some ducks. We will have to get together next season and shoot at some of our Local spots too.