PDA

View Full Version : Theme Great Egret... breeding colors

Joseph Przybyla
02-23-2019, 07:24 AM
This is for you, Artie. I captured this image recently at Gatorland, Orlando, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S Ed image captured at 400mm
1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 180 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Small Crop for composition and presentation

P.S. I left the whites as shot in the early morning light

gail bisson
02-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Good solid portrait and the whites look awesome. Love the green lores.
Great DOF at 5.6. How much of a crop?
Gail

Geoffrey Montagu
02-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Nicely captured, Joe. The whites do look great, and I like the tucked in head pose. Usual sharpness where it needs to be.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Juan Tolentino
02-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Hi Joe, beautiful light and colors. I wish you had the whole bill parallel to the sensor. TFS.

Joseph Przybyla
02-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Good solid portrait and the whites look awesome. Love the green lores.
Great DOF at 5.6. How much of a crop?
Gail

Hi Gail, a small crop just a tad off the left side and top to move the bird eye up in the frame. Thank you for viewing and commenting.

Joseph Przybyla
02-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Hi Joe, beautiful light and colors. I wish you had the whole bill parallel to the sensor. TFS.

Hi Juan, I think you must be seeing that the tip of the bill is soft. Maybe just a bit but I can hit that area with more sharpening and see how it takes it. I don't think it is too soft. The head is only turned about one degree towards the viewer which brings the eye towards the viewer for eye contact. I have some perfectly parallel and they appear that the bird is looking straight ahead, that one degree makes a big difference. Maybe could have gone to F/8 but would not have gained much. Thank you for viewing and commenting.

Jake Levin
02-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Gorgeous background and sunrise light. I love the egrets when they get all dressed up to find a mate. The end of the bill being slightly off sharp doesn't bother me in the slightest; it's to be expected when you're up close to the bird and the head angle is that ideal 1 to 2 degrees turned towards you. I would definitely keep your aperture settings more or less where they were, at the risk of bringing in too much detail in the background, which, if I remember correctly, can be rather messy at Gator Land. I might be tempted to do a bit of bill clean-up, but that's just a personal preference and not at all mandatory; the image works great just as it is.

Arthur Morris
02-23-2019, 07:03 PM
It's about time! Very sweet. Sharpness of the bill tip looks just fine to me.

with love, artie

Mike Poole
02-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Brilliant shot Joe, you've really upped your game over recent months and this is another great portrait - no nits from me at all

Mike

John Mack
02-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Gorgeous. Love the light and the background on this one.

Alex Becker
02-25-2019, 09:12 AM
This is super nice Joe. Great BG, light, details, and DOF is okay with me. All in all a very solid image. TFS