PDA

View Full Version : Theme Great Gray Owl portrait

Stuart Edwards
02-23-2019, 12:04 AM
This is from Feb 2017 when we had a very co-operative GGO within an hours drive.
About 80% of original frame
1DIV 400 f5.6 handheld
1/2500 f6.3 iso 400
live bait was used

Dorian Anderson
02-23-2019, 12:35 AM
Incredible image. Like the pensive stare in the distance. Detail is wonderful. Will be interesting to see how the live bait sits. Thanks for disclosing that either way....

dankearl
02-23-2019, 01:37 AM
Wow.
Detail off the charts, don't care how you got it unless you tortured the owl.....

Isaac Grant
02-23-2019, 01:38 AM
This is insanely nice. Perfect details and I also really like the stare. A nice twist on a typical baited shot where the owl is staring directly down the barrel at the mouse. I have spent tons of time hunting for these owls and a shot like this. Of all the shots posted on this site for as long as I can remember, this one makes me the most jealous simply because of the amount of time I have spent looking for this species and how fleeting the glimpses I got when I did eventually find them.

gail bisson
02-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Woah! What fantastic detail.
I would think I died and went to heaven if I was able to get this close to a GGO.
I also love the little mound of snow in RLC.
I find the crop a bit awkward for my taste and if you have more room on the bottom I would add it back in.
Gail

Mike Poole
02-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Stunning portrait, not a lot more to add! Great light sharpness is spot on and that little bit of a snow mound adds a little extra interest

Mike

John Mack
02-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Killer detail on this one with a good pose. Also like the snow.

Arthur Morris
02-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Incredibly sharp with amazing detail. Since I do not like the snow mound with its shadow I would crop this one to a near-square. Did you get one like this but head on?

I've never done the live bait thing but see no harm in it. Thanks for the truth in posting :)

with love, artie

Jim Crosswell
02-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Great details and sharpness. Congratulations on getting so close to capture an image like this.

Stuart Edwards
02-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments . I read every one and learn from them but I am not very good at writing so I dont answer often.

Gail - I only cropped from the top and right side ,so nothing to add back at the bottom.
Artie - I tried a version without the mound but ended up leaving it in. Interesting to see some prefer with others without. I wasnt able to get a head on stare up close.