PDA

View Full Version : tips for hummingbird photography w/o multiple flashes

Janet Zinn
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I am going to be travelling to Ecuador next month and I'll be in the Tandayapa/Mindo area, for among other things, hummingbirds.... As noted in the interesting thread regarding "which came first, the birder or the photographer", the birding for me comes first (most of the time ;)) To that effect, I will NOT be travelling with a multi-flash setup. And to be perfectly honest, I am not all that fond of the totally frozen-in-space hummingbird shots that seem to be prevalent now. I prefer more naturalistic settings and the look of motion. But, I would like to try and capture some in-flight images...I'll have lots of feeder opportunities...very likely in poor light (or even rain!)

So, with that in mind, what would be your tips/suggestions for what I should strive for with a single on-camera flash? Or should I just resign myself to capturing only perched hummers (which isn't such a bad thing when there is so much variety :)

My equipment will be:
Nikon D300 (capable of cleanish high-ISO)
SB-800DX flash
Nikon 200-400VR F4 (with extension tube if necessary)

I'm sure this question may be of interest to others as well....not all of us can, or want to, travel with five flashes. When I retire to Arizona someday I will try the five flash thing :D

Ian Newton
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Janet I have recently returned fron the Asa Wright Centre in Trinidad using the same equipment as you. The D300 is great and has relegated my D2x to a backup camera. The only difference was that I also used a Quantum turbo battery pack as you get instant re cycle times enabling you to take several shots in quick sucession when the hummers hover.
Good luck!

Ian Newton

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
janet
i spent 10 days around Tandayapa/Mindo and East slope in November , trying to photogrraph HB's - you raise an interesting question : do the multi-flash setups adversely affect the HB's .

At Tandayapa lodge (TBL), the staff complained that after another group had photographed there for several days - they had almost no HB's at their feeders for a couple of days. At Mindo Loma - i photographed for 2 days (with 4 flash setup) and another photogrpaher and his group (with multi-flash setups) had been there for 2 days before me. There was no noticable difference in the number of HB's or their activity. At Verdecocha (far few visitors) the HB's reacted (startled) whether it was a single or multi-flash setup.

As far as i know, no one has ever documented any harm to HB's or any other bird with flash photography (whether 1 or 4-5 flashes). Either you believe in using a flash or you don't - whether it be a HB or any other bird. The multi-flash setup can be positioned so it isn't intrusive to the HB's. As for the style of BG images - it's a matter of personal taste/preference.

As you said, the reality is it's mostly dark in the cloud forests and rarely will you get enough sun light to try in-flight images without some flash even with high ISO setting, and yes in Feb there will be lots of rain .

For Tandayapa/Mindo area - only advice i could give would be:
- try to set up in "open" area with more light (terrace at TBL or Loma Linda are your best bets)
-best chance for sun is early morning
-photograph slower moving species (woodstars - frequent/prefer right side of feeder at TBL)
- put a flower in the HB feeder as a prop ( especially local species with red tubular blooms)
-use a high ISO (1600)
-consider prefocusing on flower/feeder and using manual focus at f8-f11 for greater DOF
All this being said, i think you'll still be shooting mostly perched HB's around Tandayapa/Mindo area (which as you said is still a great photo opportunity). In-flight HB photography with a single flash is a lot easier in sunny Arizona or California.

I'm sure Linda and Artie may have more advice for you. I know somewhere Artie posted an in-flight photo of a woodstar at TBL in BAA bulletin using just a 1D3

Enjoy your trip and look forward to seeing some more of your great images.

Send me an email/mssg if you want any more info on sites

Janet Zinn
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Janet I have recently returned fron the Asa Wright Centre in Trinidad using the same equipment as you. The D300 is great and has relegated my D2x to a backup camera. The only difference was that I also used a Quantum turbo battery pack as you get instant re cycle times enabling you to take several shots in quick sucession when the hummers hover.
Good luck!

Ian Newton
Thank you Ian for the tip on the Quantum turbo...this is a good idea which for some reason I never thought of, duh! I have often missed shots due to flash recycling.

Yes Asa Wright is fantastic as well, I was there many years ago (pre-digital, alas!) and their deck is just super for birds (and photography!)

Janet Zinn
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Thank you Peter, you've got some good advice and suggestions there...although I think you misunderstood my reticence about flash--I wasn't really considering that it is harmful to the hummingbirds (although, perhaps it should be considered? You raised some interesting points.) I certainly routinely use flash for birds. My issue with the multi-flash set-up is more a question of priorities...I don't want to be carrying 5 flash units (nor can I afford to buy four more at the moment, having recently purchased the D300 :) And I won't have the time to devote to setting up a tableau, nor to spend hours upon hours at the feeders...I'd actually rather be out in the cloud forest or hiking the trails. If I had a few weeks then it might be different, but I only have 10 days!

I will, surely, spend some amount of time at the feeders...we will be visiting feeders in various locations and I'd like to be able to catch some hummers in flight...if possible! I do seem to recall in one of Artie's older bulletins from his first trip to Ecuador some in-flight hummers taken with single on-camera flash.

Of course perched isn't so bad! (this is a little too "flashed" looking but it was almost dark when this was taken.) Nikon D100, 80-400VR, f5.6, flash as main light) And not a feeder in sight. Peru, 2005)

http://www.jczinn.com/Central%20and%20South%20America/Peru/Birds/cbco_8663b.jpg