PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Duck

John Mack
02-20-2019, 06:11 PM
This image was created at Barnegat Jetty on 2/9/19 at 3:16PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
516mm
ISO 800
f9.0
1/2000sec

Dorian Anderson
02-20-2019, 10:11 PM
This is fantastic John. Exposure and detail are great across the bird, and the color in the sunlight is so nice. He could probably deal with a bit more at right and below if you have it. Background is nice and soft. Any reason you were at f/9? Insurance to make sure you got focus across the bird? Trying to get the rock? I would have shot this wide open to get the smoothest possible background. But it hardly matters here, this result is really nice.

Bill Dix
02-21-2019, 12:29 PM
A classic Barnegat profile. Nicely done. Good detail, as Dorian points out. If I were being really picky I might suggest lifting the shadows just a tiny bit, and perhaps brightening the iris, also a tiny bit. But just fine as posted.

Daniel Cadieux
02-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Another nice one. I love that chestnut patch on the flanks - awesome texture to the plumage there. Good job with the whites too.

John Mack
02-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Any reason you were at f/9? Insurance to make sure you got focus across the bird? Trying to get the rock? I would have shot this wide open to get the smoothest possible background. But it hardly matters here, this result is really nice.

Thanks Dorain, Was trying for the whole bird nice and sharp.

Arthur Morris
02-21-2019, 07:22 PM
I'm fine with there framing. Techs excellent. The waves in the background are less than ideal but I know that it is rarely if ever calm there ...

with love, artie