Had a try at something different as the gannets came in against the sun,

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is
ISO 400
1/3200th f9

Mike

David Roach
02-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Beautiful BG (with smooth gradients) and perfectly sharp silhouette with great view of head wings and tail with no overlap. Those translucent tail feathers takes it over the top for me. TFS

Isaac Grant
02-12-2019, 12:21 PM
I like this one Mike. When I am out in the field, I always try and think a bit outside the box. How can I make this image a little bit better than the rest. How can I make it different. Sometimes it involves working harder, climbing on rocks or whatever to get low. Sometimes it involves doing exactly what you did here. Working with what you had and making something beautiful. We have all seen loads and loads of Gannet images but this one stands out as being different to me and is eye catching for sure. Only thing I would do is maybe warm it up some and push the colors a bit more in the background.

William Dickson
02-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Love it Mike...I must have 100's of Gannet images, but wow, nothing like this. You've planted the seed for the year ahead... Looking real good, love that flight pose and the BG colours compliment the bird nicely.

Will

John Mack
02-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Works well for me. the composition is spot on and i like the pose as well.

annmpacheco
02-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Thats a gannet for sure! Nice work. My only wish would be for that faint horizontal line to be higher and not in the path of the bird!

Alex Becker
02-12-2019, 08:44 PM
This is really nice. Good to do something different and it works. I would try to bump up the exposure a bit to bring out more 'pop' in the oranges. TFS

Arthur Morris
02-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Hey Mikey, Was this with Peter Kes? Nice, but I would have gone for a 3X2 crop with this one.

with love, artie

Mike Poole
02-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Hey Mikey, Was this with Peter Kes? Nice, but I would have gone for a 3X2 crop with this one.

with love, artieMe and Anita went down to the Staple Newk platform (furthest right where the outcrop is) whilst you were imparting wisdom on others!

They were coming in about 30 degrees away from being against the sun, then circling round on a good sun angle for nice regular gliding shots.

Regards

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk