PDA

View Full Version : Been to Merritt Island NWR Recently?

Arthur Morris
02-11-2019, 09:50 AM
If you have been to Merritt Island NWR/Black Point Drive recently, please respond and LMK how it's been.

thanks with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
I have been there recently. A lot of birds there but few close to the road to photograph. The water level is very high, not managed well for photographers. If you know where the two blinds were both were closed since Hurricane Irma, now the nearest to the parking area is being repaired. We also went to Playalinda Beach, a few shore birds scurrying around but not in great numbers.

Arthur Morris
02-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Thanks Joe. So where should I go tomorrow and WED?

with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
02-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks Joe. So where should I go tomorrow and WED?

with love, artie

If it was Thursday or Friday I would say go to Gatorland. You might go to Circle B, the Barred Owls are hanging out near the toilets at the parking lot. I have seen them recently in the big oak trees. The last couple of years they nested in a cavity in one of the oak treed sort of directly in front of the toilets west of the parking lot.

Krishna Prasad kotti
02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Is Circle B Reserve good place for Owls during May ?

I will be in Florida for a week in Florida thinking of going to that place for a day or two

Isaac Grant
02-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Hey Artie what about renting a boat and going for Snail Kite? Or going for some prairie birds like Red-cockated Woodpecker and Caracara. Change it up a bit.

Stuart Edwards
02-11-2019, 03:13 PM
there is also the scrubjay trail just a couple of miles from blackpoint drive. i had really good luck there last year

Arthur Morris
02-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Hey Artie what about renting a boat and going for Snail Kite? Or going for some prairie birds like Red-cockated Woodpecker and Caracara. Change it up a bit.

Don't want to get arrested for a Snail Kite image or for paying the tape on the endangered woodpecker. I have tried "looking for them" in the right spots with zero luck. Caracaras would be good but I like lots of action :)

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
02-13-2019, 09:37 AM
there is also the scrubjay trail just a couple of miles from blackpoint drive. i had really good luck there last year

That's five hours in the car for me :) Round trip. Did you use peanuts?

thanks with love, artie

Stuart Edwards
02-13-2019, 12:51 PM
49 hour round trip for me :bg3: yes i used peanuts , and you can use a short lens .
That's five hours in the car for me :) Round trip. Did you use peanuts?

thanks with love, artie

Stuart Edwards
02-13-2019, 07:39 PM
I went at a bad time of day for light but it was still a worth the trip

Arthur Morris
02-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Thanks. You missed my question: did you attract the birds with peanuts?

with love, artie

Stuart Edwards
02-14-2019, 06:17 AM
Yes I did . I answered in pane #10

Arthur Morris
02-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Yes I did . I answered in pane #10

Thanks Stuart. I am sorry that I missed that. Just for the record books, do not get caught as it is against federal or state regulations (not sure which) to feed an endangered species.
with love, artie

Arthur Morris
02-14-2019, 10:33 AM

I will be in Florida for a week in Florida thinking of going to that place for a day or two

If you are lucky you might see a Barred Owl there but do not hold your breath :) I have been several times and never seen one ...

with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
02-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Hey Krishna, sorry I did not respond sooner I missed your post. The Barred Owls will be there, finding them is another thing. Look up into the large oak trees carefully, they blend in well and sit quietly. Here is a image I captured last year at the end of April. The fledgling on the left is almost as large as the adult.