PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Lanner Falcon

Chris van Rooyen
02-08-2019, 12:31 PM
I captured this guy at a waterhole in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. He was hunting small birds drinking at the waterhole, making repeated strikes throughout the morning. It was very difficult to follow him because of the speed he was flying at, so I opted for an extremely high shutter speed for optimum sharpness. I used AF 3D-tracking most of the time, alternating with Dynamic area AF 9 points. I like the way in which the colour of the oryxes' coats in the background is mirrored on the breast feathers of the falcon. About 60% crop.

Camera Model: NIKON D5
Date/Time: 2017:08:13 09:07:26
Shutter speed: 1/6400 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1800
Lens: 500.0 mm f/4.0
Focal length: 500mm

John Mack
02-08-2019, 06:02 PM
I like it. Nice view of the bird and the background is pretty interesting not your usaul frame you see on here.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Now that is pretty wicked! I'd love to see the whole leg of the oryx on our right -- I suspect that that is not a possibility.

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
02-08-2019, 11:18 PM
This has to be the coolest background I have ever seen posted on this site! Killer Chris. Not the best light, some shadows on the bird but SO WHAT! Killer frame with great impact.

arash_hazeghi
02-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Talk about a challenging subject for the AF! Amazing shot Chris, tough to grab focus on a subject like this against that kind of BG... I usually use Grp AF with my D5 and D850.

TFS

dankearl
02-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Are you kidding me?
Amazing talent to just get the shot.
And the comp is just superb also...
A contest winner....

Dorian Anderson
02-09-2019, 01:34 AM
This is a fantastic shot. I usually HATE distracting BG elements but the animals here set thee scene PERFECTLY. They make this is one of the most unique shots I've seen. Bravo!

Chris van Rooyen
02-09-2019, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and comments! Indeed a very challenging AF situation. I learnt through trial and error that the only way to keep the focus is to grab the bird while it is against the blue sky, before its dips below the horizon. Once you have it, the D5 does amazingly well to keep the focus. However, finding focus once the bird is below the horizon it is just about impossible to pick it up. The light is indeed not the best, one of the challenges when shooting in a desert environment is how quickly the light gets harsh.

Chris van Rooyen
02-09-2019, 04:35 AM
Now that is pretty wicked! I'd love to see the whole leg of the oryx on our right -- I suspect that that is not a possibility.

with love, artie

I have to agree that having the full leg would have made it better

gail bisson
02-09-2019, 08:24 AM
The falcon looks great and I do not mind the harsher light.
I so, so wish that the leg of the oryx was not intersecting with the falcon's face. I find it distracts.
Stiil a technically impressive image!
Gail

Mike Poole
02-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Just superb Chris, and whilst I agree with the comments above, I think its important to retain some perspective and remember they are very minor nits picked up by some pretty demanding photographers!

Great technique and a fine result

Mike

Gabriela Plesea
02-12-2019, 03:18 PM
I like it too, Chris, very much - if I may ask, where was this taken? Would like to think it was Polentswa... But it might as well be north of Nossob or even Two Rivers waterhole. Or Kij Kij:w3

A familiar scene and I am truly delighted with this frame, well taken! The speed those Lanner Falcons reach is just amazing, one can hear them "cut" the air. Possibly the fastest avian species in the world, it is said they reach about 400km/hr.

Super techs and lovely detail on the bird, nice composition. No nits from me, I know how tough it is to capture this species in flight - congratulations!

Kind regards,

Chris van Rooyen
02-15-2019, 03:00 PM
I like it too, Chris, very much - if I may ask, where was this taken? Would like to think it was Polentswa... But it might as well be north of Nossob or even Two Rivers waterhole. Or Kij Kij:w3

A familiar scene and I am truly delighted with this frame, well taken! The speed those Lanner Falcons reach is just amazing, one can hear them "cut" the air. Possibly the fastest avian species in the world, it is said they reach about 400km/hr.

Super techs and lovely detail on the bird, nice composition. No nits from me, I know how tough it is to capture this species in flight - congratulations!

Kind regards,

Thanks for the comments Gabriela! This was taken at Leeuwdril, just north of Twee Rivieren.

Gabriela Plesea
02-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the comments Gabriela! This was taken at Leeuwdril, just north of Twee Rivieren.

Awesome, thank you! I will be there soon, Chris - cannot wait:5