PDA

View Full Version : Common Eider drake, 1st winter

Bill Dix
02-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Perhaps I've just never paid attention before, but this was the first time I remember seeing this species (Common Eider, Atlantic race) in 1st winter plumage. Of course a lower POV might have been nice, but impossible from the Barnegat jetty.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 550mm, ISO 320, 1/2500s @ f/8 manual. HH.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Interesting bird well done. I would not hate a bit more room below.

with love, arite

Isaac Grant
02-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Classic Barnegat shot of this handsome young male. They are actually the most commonly encountered age of Common Eider that we get around here. The key to getting a nice low angle there is to shoot at high tide and find as spot where you can lay down and be somewhat sheltered. Then wait for a large wave to come and hope you get the shot before you get soaked! I did just that and got an almost eye level shot of a male Black Scoter that I have not posted yet but guess I should. I was thinking of going on Saturday. Still lots of activity? Have been hoping for a better flight shot of Surf Scoter than I have already. I would increase the exposure on your shot and apply a little less NR on the water. It looks a bit too plastic like for me. That is actually something I struggle with from that place. As the water is so dark the pics typically have a decent amount of noise in the water. If you remove the noise the water can look a touch fake so there is a fine line with it that I have to admit I have not mastered yet.

William Dickson
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Lovely detail you captured....Nice HA Yes lower POV would help, but not always easy with these sea ducks. There are lots of Eider around the harbour in my hometown now, for the winter. These 1st winter birds always seem to keep their distance from the mature adults, who are starting to display.

Will

John Mack
02-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Like the dark blue water and how you can see the foot through the water.

gail bisson
02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Classic Barnegat shot. I think all you photographers should build a special walkway that is just above the water surface and moves with the tide!:t3
Perfect HA and the colors look great. I thought the exposure looked great but once I read Isaac's comment I had another look and agree it could go 1/4 stop up.
Very nice Bill!

Dorian Anderson
02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Nice light and eye contact. Exposure and color look good. Agree lower shooting angle would be good but its tough to get low at that spot. I agree moving him up in the frame would help.

Daniel Cadieux
02-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Perfect head angle, and I love that the foot is visible under the water. Nice little wake against the breast. The POV works well here despite the not-so-low angle.

Geoffrey Montagu
02-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Good one, Bill. Nice eye contact, and I too like the visible underwater foot and and part of his chest.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Bill Dix
02-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Thank you all. Isaac, good call on the NR; I probably could have used half as much. And I shouldn't have said it was impossible to get low. In years past I have gotten near eye level shots of Harlequins using the technique you describe -- but I'm not as limber as I once was, and I'm afraid I'd never get back up. There was plenty of activity at the jetty; lots of Harlequins, especially hens; and the other usual suspects except that we didn't see any Purple Sandpipers, although I didn't venture to the extreme end. Good luck if you go tomorrow. It will freeze tonight so the rocks could be icy.