PDA

View Full Version : Harrier in habitat and with high ISO-plus guess which camera

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 01:33 AM
As much as I like my D850 for making large crops and getting microscopic detail on every bird, it doesn't quite impress me at ISO's higher than 1600. I have made some excellent images with it at ISO 3200 but only under certain conditions. If I am shooting above ISO 1600 the D5 is the no brainier pick. Overall the IQ of the D5 is comparable to that of the 1DXII but the very high ISO's are a bit cleaner. I have made quite a few images at ISO 4000-6400 that I like. Below is one example, it's juvenile female harrier in habitat.

This was shot with my D5 and 600E FL + TC14E-III. ISO 4000 1/2500sec at f/5.6 hand held. Processed with Capture One pro. hope you like it. About 40% of the original FF. I also evicted a few offending grasses. BTW this is as much as you can get close to these birds in the wild.

sasan nejadi
02-06-2019, 03:27 AM
Hi Arash I think the sensor conditions in dynamic rang and low light iso in canon 1DXMKii is better than Nikon D5

Chris van Rooyen
02-06-2019, 04:34 AM
Hi Arash, excellent image made under difficult circumstances. Personally I find that my D3s still provides the best low ISO results, although in all other respects the D5 is a much more advanced tool. You have done well to control the noise in the PP. I can see some traces of the noise reduction in the plumage, but not too such an extent that it bothers me.

gail bisson
02-06-2019, 06:45 AM
Looks good for ISO 4000! I like the pose.I really like the grassy environment.
I think the NR in the feathers has rendered a look that is a bit too smooth- easy fix.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Looks good for ISO 4000! I like the pose.I really like the grassy environment.
I think the NR in the feathers has rendered a look that is a bit too smooth- easy fix.
Gail

Hi Gail,

Thanks, but no NR, as I have said before this is the Juvin plumage that is soft. You have only seen the adult so it is hard for you to imagine what the juvi plumage looks like. The ones you saw with Dave were all mature birds similar to the one I am going to post below. this image has no NR applied to the bird.

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Hi Arash I think the sensor conditions in dynamic rang and low light iso in canon 1DXMKii is better from Nikon D5

Hi Sassan I don't believe on DxO results, it is not scientific. I own both of these cameras so I can test for myself.

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Hi Arash, excellent image made under difficult circumstances. Personally I find that my D3s still provides the best low ISO results, although in all other respects the D5 is a much more advanced tool. You have done well to control the noise in the PP. I can see some traces of the noise reduction in the plumage, but not too such an extent that it bothers me.

Hi Chris, Thanks

The image wasn't made under difficult circumstances actually :) I have not applied NR to the plumage, this is how a juvenile harrier looks like, as for D3S it just doesn't have much fine details at 12 mega pixels...I had one for about 6 months in 2009 but I didn't like the slower AF and relative crunchy files compared to my then Canon 1D4. I wasn't as sharp as my Canon when I looked at the RAW files. I think if Nikon didn't have D5 I'd still be shooting with my Canon :)

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 11:30 AM
For those who are not familiar with harriers, the juvenile birds has soft and somewhat less defined plumage compared to the adults, it may looks like NR but it's not. Above is a shot of the adult most are familiar with, this is a n adolescent bird so the plumage is not even fully matured. You can see how it looks like as the bird ages.

this image also at ISO 4000 :eek3:

neither image has NR applied to the bird. I converted the RAW in C1P, then I masked the bird in PS, calibrated NI on the BG applied NR to the BG. then downsampled and sharpened the bird using SM. The adult probably appears sharper or with more details than the juvenile to those who haven't seen these birds, but the image in pane #1 actually has more details than this one, it is less of a crop and is the highest quality file I have ever made of a juvenile female harrier

hope this helps

Daniel Cadieux
02-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Oh I love the colours and subdued light. Nice low angle too. You are right, these guys don't allow close approach when not in flight - and even in flight they can be tough to get close!

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 12:35 PM
So true Dan I for every 50 flight shot I only have one perched photo of the harrier

Alex Becker
02-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Nice colors, light and setting. The pose is great with that head turn as well. I rarely get close to these guys when they're perched. Love the beak feathers. When you say no NR on the bird, do you mean no NR in Photoshop or no NR in Capture 1? Looks great for a bigger crop + high ISO. TFS

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Nice colors, light and setting. The pose is great with that head turn as well. I rarely get close to these guys when they're perched. Love the beak feathers. When you say no NR on the bird, do you mean no NR in Photoshop or no NR in Capture 1? Looks great for a bigger crop + high ISO. TFS

Hi Alex, I don't use NR in capture One to reduce noise. the details on my process is explained in my C1P guide

best

John Mack
02-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Nice setting with a nice pose. Was really hoping to see a very high ISO shot. Something around 16,000 or 20,000.

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Nice setting with a nice pose. Was really hoping to see a very high ISO shot. Something around 16,000 or 20,000.

Hi John, no camera ever made can make an ISO 20K shot that is acceptable to me.

best

Arthur Morris
02-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Loverly bird and image and thanks for the lessons.

with love, artie

arash_hazeghi
02-08-2019, 02:49 AM
just for fun

I am going to post two images of the juvenile female harrier. They were taken at different times and with different cameras. Who can guess the camera, lens and ISO :D

sasan nejadi
02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
just for fun

I am going to post two images of the juvenile female harrier. They were taken at different times and with different cameras. Who can guess the camera, lens and ISO :D

Hi Arash, about your question, caus u love the nikon!:bg3: , the photo with good quality is for nikon & the photo with bad quality is for canon .
it can't be the correct comparison cause one meter less or more distance , will change the result.
good quality : Nikon d850 -600E Fl + 1.4 III -iso 1600
bad quality : canon 1DXMKii + 400Do ii +1.4 III - iso 3200

arash_hazeghi
02-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Hi Arash, about your question, caus u love the nikon!:bg3: , the photo with good quality is for nikon & the photo with bad quality is for canon .
it can't be the correct comparison cause one meter less or more distance , will change the result.
good quality : Nikon d850 -600E Fl + 1.4 III -iso 1600
bad quality : canon 1DXMKii + 400Do ii +1.4 III - iso 3200

hum I am not sure what you’re trying to say it makes no sense to me “one meter less”. Answer is wrong BTW

Arthur Morris
02-08-2019, 11:36 AM
hum I am not sure what you’re trying to say it makes no sense to me “one meter less”. Answer is Wong BTW

Who is Wong? Is he a Chinese photographer???

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
02-08-2019, 11:40 AM
They both look quite good to me. I'd guess that they were not taken with an i-Phone (unless you have the X). Seriously, even with my glasses cleaned I see no difference in IQ.

with love, artie

arash_hazeghi
02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Who is Wong? Is he a Chinese photographer???

with love, artie

Hehe I did use iPhone to type in the answer and autocorrect got me.:bg3:

sasan nejadi
02-11-2019, 03:32 AM
f/5.6
1/2000 seconds
840 mm
ISO 5000
0.67 EV
Manual exposure
Manual
Auto white balance
Pattern Metering mode
Sasan Nejadi
Canon
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Macintosh
EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4xIII

Arthur Morris
02-11-2019, 06:51 AM
Lovely image Sasan. What is the bird? Where do you live? Sorry, I forgot and it is not in your profile.

with love, artie

sasan nejadi
02-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Hi artie, it is Long legged Buzzard and taken in iran and ​In the cloudy weatherbuzzard

Arthur Morris
02-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Thanks Sasan. Where do you live?

with love, artie

sasan nejadi
02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Thanks Sasan. Where do you live?

with love, artie

I live in Arak, Iran

arash_hazeghi
02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
cool image Sassan, feathers are quite noisy though and has water-color look to it. When I had the 1DXII I would mostly shoot at ISO 3200 and below

Also this image should be posted in a separate thread . I will post it for you later

best