PDA

View Full Version : Greater Shearwater

Axel Hildebrandt
06-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I went on an all-day pelagic trip yesterday and we got very lucky to find very rare species of seabirds, many whales and dolphins in great numbers and even some photography opportunities.

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/2000s, f/7.1, EC -0.67, ISO 400

Fabs Forns
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Impressive wingspan, Axel, I was just going to PM you and ask how you did on your trip, that is one possibility we never explored, out of NY, ot CT????

Alfred Forns
06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Particularly like the feather shadow detail Axel !!! Love seeing the topside !!! Love to make that trip !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Impressive wingspan, Axel, I was just going to PM you and ask how you did on your trip, that is one possibility we never explored, out of NY, ot CT????

It was called 'extreme pelagic trip' for good reasons and organized by the Brookline Bird Club. :) We started in Hyannis on Cape Cod at 4 AM and were back at 10 PM. There are several places that offer similar tours, in NY, NJ and North Carolina, and in California that I heard of. Definitely worth it. It's not easy to photograph when the sea is choppy since you have to do it handheld.

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey Axel,
Topside view is one of my favorites and you have a great position and BG. Don't usually like to comment on critical sharpness of eyes from the laptop.........but could it use a bit??? Will check on the desktop later. Impressive for hand held on choppy seas!

Arthur Morris
06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
An amazing capture in a difficult situation. They eye looks sharp to me. Was this a vertical orginal?

I am confused as to why the far wing apperas to be in shadow...

Axel Hildebrandt
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
An amazing capture in a difficult situation. They eye looks sharp to me. Was this a vertical orginal?

I am confused as to why the far wing apperas to be in shadow...

Thanks, Artie. This is cropped from horizontal, I wouldn't even try a vertical in a situation like this. As for the far wing, I'm not sure, either. My guess is that the angle of the feathers that appear not sunlit have a different angle than the rest of the wing.

Steve Metildi
06-29-2008, 12:07 PM
This is an outstanding photo of this Shearwater given the situation. I've been on a couple of these trips and generally find them worthless for photography--at least in California. On my monitor I think it could use a small shot of USM.

Steve

Brian Wong
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Axel!

Just beautiful topside feather detail! The colors go very well for me, and I think the blues are very pretty. Great hand hold job in difficult conditions! Can't wait to see more!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Beautiful flight image Axel and wonderful detail. The topside is such superb view and you captured it well.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I sharpened head, body and part of the wings selectively a little bit more.

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey Axel,
Still on the laptop.........but the re-post is now tack sharp on it!

Grace Scalzo
06-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Re-post is perfect. would be an impressive image from land, from a boat, it is remarkable. Bet you slept well that night!!

Glenn Bartley
06-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Very cool topside view.