PDA

View Full Version : Last of the spotted coralroot

Steve Foss
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I've been dogging a clump of spotted coralroot (while not as rare as some wild orchids, the least common of the coralroots) for the past two weeks. They bloom from the bottom of the spike upward, and these are the last prime blossoms left on the spikes. This whole bloom cluster is only a bit more than an inch long. That's how small these blooms are.

The BG just above the center bloom transitions a bit harshly because of pattern of the leafy BG, and I'm interested in whether any of you think that's a distraction or if it's just fine.

It was a calm but very sunny morning. Even calm wasn't quite calm enough at these shutter speeds, so I took measures.

Canon 30D, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, iso125, 4 sec at f16, remote shutter release, mirror lock-up, diffusion tent for breeze protection and cutting light on the BG, though I cut a slit in the side so just a bit more light would fall on the blossoms.

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Steve,
The BG looks fine on this end....but I do see what you are talking about........transitioning is not necessary IMO but let's see what others think. I like the comp on a diagonal from the lower right. Debating the left bloom as it merges a bit with the central one but as small as these guys are.......not sure you could do anything more with that. Lighting looks great and pretty gutsy with the 4 sec. exposure......even with a tent.
PS My Avatar isn't Sam Adams (do love it)........but a local micro brew from Soccorro NM. Mothers milk comes from Oregon's Rogue Brewery.......and It's called Shakespeare Stout! Heaven in a bottle!

Steve Foss
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Roman. I think the comp would have been stronger with the removal of the bud and stalk emerging from the bottom of the spire, because it pollutes the isolation of the three blossoms against the background, but I just wasn't willing to manage the scene quite that much by snipping it off with a scissors.

The BG is buttery enough that cloning it out is a pretty simple exercise, but I'm still not sure whether I want to do that yet or not. Flowers come off the stalks on these plants from all sides, and to remove it might make it feel a bit artificial to me. Or maybe not . . .

All that REALLY matters about the beer in your hand is that it's too dark to be a huge-selling, watery mainstream beer from one of the monster American so-called breweries. :D :D

Ed Vatza
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Lot of work for that image, Steve. And it was worth it. The background looks fine to me. I have no problems there. I agree with the assessment on the third stem but wholeheartedly agree with your decision not to snip it out. Actually I was faced with the same quandry this morning with a bud and also decided to leave it in.

Julie Kenward
06-29-2008, 02:17 PM
The BG isn't bothering me a bit. I can't stop smiling, though, because every time I look at this I think of the musical "A Chorus Line." Does it look like those little guys are dancing to anyone else but me?

What a charming image: Well lit. Nicely composed. And who couldn't love those little bibbed dancers? :D

Bill Whitney
06-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Steve...very nice image. The BG works fine for me. Nice diagonal comp.

John Cooper
06-29-2008, 11:48 PM
I think you did well under the circumstances Steve. the BG looks just fine on my monitor. I am just wondering if you could have squeezed a little more DOF - maybe increasing the ISO a little and opting for F22, but a nice presentation!!

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I really like how that image POPS against the dark green BG! I'd like it even better with a six pack of Paulener Hefe Weizen at my disposal. :D

Steve Foss
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I'd like it even better with a six pack of Paulener Hefe Weizen at my disposal. :D

Jesus, Mike, isn't that true about most things in life? ;) ;)

Thanks for looking and judging and commenting, everyone.