PDA

View Full Version : ground owl

John Hawkins
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Photographed in Cape Coral, FL. 3/29/08 at 5:32 PM. Sony a-100 f/6.3 1/500 oev ISO 400 Sigma 50-500 lens at 420mm.
Thanks for your comments, I am still trying to get a handle on using this lens.
John

Alfred Forns
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Looking good John !!!

I like the side lighting in this instance but would try lining up on sun angle for most. As presented would crop from the left to have the bird off center and more room in the direction he is looking. Also more room at the bottom since feet are very close to the frame edge.

Very nice appealing bg For those guys you can really use the houses around for bg Setting sun with a reddish bg works very well !! You are in the right place for owls !!! Looking forward to more !!!

Harold Davis
06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
good, moody light!!! like the environment your bird is in too. two things i see are: might add a little to the bottom for the virtual feet that are a little hidden. and also would choose a different crop that places the bird on the left side of the frame to give him room to look into! other than that, i might tone down the whites just a hair, but not much!! great job!

Nonda Surratt
06-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Since Mr H and Alfred covered evreything..I'll just say I LIKE it super job!!

John Hawkins
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your comments guys. I posted this full frame,no cropping. I was going to crop off some of the left as you suggested, so I guess I am learning some right decisions. Also while taking the shot I knew the bottom was going to be a problem, but If I got lower the result was more grass covering more of the leg and seemed more of a distraction. If I took it from above more, I didn't like that angle. So at least I find myself thinking more now.
Thanks,
John

Katie Rupp
06-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Nice and sharp and there is feeling of satisfaction when you realize your thinking process is actually "in-gear" vis-a-vis what we're learning here.

Lance Peters
06-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice bird - Agree with MR H and AL - NICE JOB

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-30-2008, 02:00 AM
As above!!