PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Duck

Mike Quigley
01-28-2019, 07:33 PM
This beauty was in a pond near Orland Park, Illinois the first week in January 2019
D-850, Nikon 500mm PF, @f5.6, 500mm, iso 110 1/500th

John Mack
01-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Very beautiful looking duck. Wish it's head was more turned toward you.

Mike Poole
01-29-2019, 11:35 AM
My favourite duck - I have a local bunch of residents that I can never just walk past. You've got a lot of good detail i the whites, its a really easy bird to blow the details out. I think the image wold have been a lot stronger if you'd been able to get lower down somewhere, I know they can be quite skittish, but it does make for a much nicer shot if you can wait it out

Mike

William Dickson
01-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Yes, a better POV would be better..I have photographed these beautiful ducks on several occasions and agree with Mike, it is well worth waiting to get 'the shot'....Some nice details here, I wished the HA was better, and maybe some CW rotation.

Will

Arthur Morris
01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Please note that this species does not occur regularly in the lower 48 -- all are captives or escapes that may have bred. The colors and SH are great but the head turned away is an image wrecker for me. The raised feather tracts are stunning and the EXP is perfect.

with love, arite

Arthur Morris
01-30-2019, 10:44 PM
My favourite duck - I have a local bunch of residents that I can never just walk past. You've got a lot of good detail i the whites, its a really easy bird to blow the details out. I think the image wold have been a lot stronger if you'd been able to get lower down somewhere, I know they can be quite skittish, but it does make for a much nicer shot if you can wait it out

Mike

Mikey -- does this species occur naturally on your side of the pond?

with love, artie

Mike Poole
01-31-2019, 03:18 AM
Mikey -- does this species occur naturally on your side of the pond?

with love, artieHi Artie,

They were introduced from China sometime mid 20th century, and are now becoming more widespread.

Last estimate I saw was about 7000 individuals in the country but that was about 5 years ago and if my local population is anything to go by then there could well be a fair sized increase on that now.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk