PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier # 2

Kapil Kapre
01-26-2019, 11:44 PM
Another harrier from a shoot a few weeks back. Hopefully, I can revisit this spot under better conditions.

Gear: 6d MK2 w/ Sigma 150-600 @ 600mm. f/6.3, ISO 3200, 1/1000s.

arash_hazeghi
01-26-2019, 11:47 PM
I like the landing pose and the cat tails, IQ isn't good here: The image is a bit too bright and contrasty, the harriers is also lacking details while the BG is noisy...tough conditions

TFS

Arthur Morris
01-27-2019, 09:05 AM
Hey Kapil, Welcome to BPN and thanks a stack for your membership support. Where do you live?

As for the image, Arash is too smart. The landing pose is great; Arash covers most of the problems. In addition, the face needs to be opened up (lightened) a bit.

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
01-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Welcome. Really pretty setting and I love the habitat and sky. I agree with everything Arash has said re the sharpness, contrast and background. Do you have a good workflow to reduce noise in the background?

Kapil Kapre
01-27-2019, 11:19 PM
arash_hazeghi
I like the landing pose and the cat tails, IQ isn't good here: The image is a bit too bright and contrasty, the harriers is also lacking details while the BG is noisy...tough conditions

TFS

Thanks for the feedback!

Arthur Morris

Hey Kapil, Welcome to BPN and thanks a stack for your membership support. Where do you live?
Thanks Art, I'm in Redmond, WA!

Isaac Grant
Welcome. Really pretty setting and I love the habitat and sky. I agree with everything Arash has said re the sharpness, contrast and background. Do you have a good workflow to reduce noise in the background?

Thanks ! I don't do anything special other than mask + NR in LR. TBH, cropping ~1.5x at ISO 3200, I don't think I'll get anything more than a 1-2 megapixels of detail. However, I have been reading that, all things being equal, the noise from smaller pixel cameras is easier to remove, so I will be doing some tests with a 7DM2 soon..

arash_hazeghi
01-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Art, I'm in Redmond, WA!

Thanks ! I don't do anything special other than mask + NR in LR. TBH, cropping ~1.5x at ISO 3200, I don't think I'll get anything more than a 1-2 megapixels of detail. However, I have been reading that, all things being equal, the noise from smaller pixel cameras is easier to remove, so I will be doing some tests with a 7DM2 soon..

that's actually not true, it is the opposite. the smaller the pixel the lower the signal to noise ratio and the harder to remove the noise...the 7D2 is going to suck at ISO 3200 big time. if you are going to use this camera I recommend staying below ISO 1600

good luck

Kapil Kapre
01-28-2019, 03:02 PM
that's actually not true, it is the opposite. the smaller the pixel the lower the signal to noise ratio and the harder to remove the noise...the 7D2 is going to suck at ISO 3200 big time. if you are going to use this camera I recommend staying below ISO 1600

good luck

I see. I can't really comment on that since I don't understand sensor design and the theory behind it. Maybe I mis-read or mis-understood or both, but the idea presented was that given a fixed piece of sensor area, more number of pixels/sq-mm make it easier to identify the noise pattern and remove it. I sort of get what you're saying too in that the signal gets diluted over a larger number of pixels hence reducing SNR.

Thanks for the ISO 1600 recommendation!