PDA

View Full Version : Short-billed Dowitcher

Dorian Anderson
01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Curious if the bird is strong enough to negate the distraction of the lines.......that's the million dollar question!

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 800

Isaac Grant
01-23-2019, 12:18 PM
You are killing it out there with these shorebirds. Very nice pose and perfect head angle. For me the image is too bright and the water looks to have too much cyan in it. Head looks a bit soft but very good considering the species. I do not mind the lines at all.

Jake Levin
01-23-2019, 12:51 PM
The bird looks bang-on sharp and has that killer head angle/wing position combo. Personally, the lines are a bit of a drawback for me, but you might be able to do some cloning and at least reduce their visibility. There isn't much you can do about waves. Still a very nice shot IMHO.

Ivan Sjogren
01-23-2019, 02:41 PM
You really are getting some amazing shots of shorebirds in flight! The lines is what makes this image even more special too me and therefore I wouldn't change it even though the line just below the bird is a bit strong. I agree about a bit of a cyan cast to the image and the bird looks a little green on my screen(?). The wing position, the head angle and the details look amazing!

Dorian Anderson
01-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Warmed a touch, bit of extra sharpening on the face, and lighted the line immediately below the bird.

John Mack
01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Sweet frame. Nice light and a nice pose with good detail. I don't mind the lines. Don't see much difference between the original and the repost.

dankearl
01-24-2019, 12:36 AM
The repost is better for me... Just top notch flight photography.

arash_hazeghi
01-24-2019, 01:18 AM
excellent details, got some good frames already, I'm fine with the blue lines. The color balance is off though, with cyan and yellow cast.

Now that you have good gear it is worth investing a bit on the post processing rig, a good monitor, calibration and software. ACR in general cannot read the correct WB from Canon (or Nikon) bodies and will struggle to give you accurate colors.... I am saying this because it is inevitable that someday you will see these images on big screen with the correct colors and then realize you gotta go back and reprocess all of these because they don't look right. Just like you are realizing that BIF shots aren't that difficult with the right rig, processing is also really easy with the right software and calibrated rig, I probably spend 1-2 min tops to process a RAW, seldom even touch the WB....

cheers and keep up the good work

Mike Poole
01-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Great pose with that little head turn, sharpness spot on. The blue lines don't really bother me, albeit I could be tempted to lighten the main line just below the bird.

Excellent timing on this one

Mike

Arthur Morris
01-31-2019, 04:18 PM
You have got these down to a science. The BLUEs are quite CYAN. For bluer BLUEs try messing around with the BLUEs on the HSL tab during the RAW conversion. Start with the Hue slider; I rarely used that until I started working on this exact problem recently. Then try the SAT and Luminance sliders. Also, you can try taking CYAN out of the BLUEs in Selective Color.

with love, artie