PDA

View Full Version : Two Sandpipers

Paul Burdett
01-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Hi all. Here are two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers from my recent afternoon shoot at my favourite wader roost.
7Dii, 100-400 at 400mm, 1/2500th sec, f6.3, iso640. PP in acr and pscc.

Dorian Anderson
01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
Nice pair. Probably would have benefitted from a slightly lower shooting angle. These occasionally make it to the states. I've seen 2 over here.

John Mack
01-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Like the feeding poses. Lower would have been better. I know sometimes it is not possible.

Paul Burdett
01-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Hi Dorian/John. It would have been nice to get closer...but the water's edge is below the grass area where they were photographed from, and quite soggy. There were quite a few at various times...but they would fly away as soon as you approached...despite moving closer very slowly. Not to worry...I'm going back!

Arthur Morris
01-20-2019, 04:00 PM
I like em. I have never seen this species so I am envious. Your job is to get a killer breeding plumage imge for me.
Love, artie
with love, artie

Isaac Grant
01-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Super cool birds. I have seen them twice in NY. Once in Queens and one that I found in Brooklyn. Plus have seen tons of them in Australia and Thailand. Always one I look for in fall migration.

For me the birds are too high in the frame. I understand that it is hard to get lower at this spot but that is really a vital part of getting a really strong shorebird image (flight excluded of course). I also find the image too bright and the colors a bit washed out on the birds. Head of the rear bird is soft. For me this is a delete for all of the reasons mentioned.

Paul Burdett
01-20-2019, 08:04 PM
Isaac: Feedback appreciated.
Hi Artie: I'll try!