PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

David Salem
01-16-2019, 01:49 AM
We had a great time with a few new Burrowing Owls early this season. They were transplanted to this location a few months earlier and this was the most outgoing male. The Burrowing owls in my area always hunt those big green Japanese beetles during the fall. Its a lot of fun trying to anticipate the take off and capture them in action.
Here I caught this adult male just as he took off after a flying beetle behind my truck. I really like the well lit eyes on this guy and the little puff of dust from the feet is another feature I like in this image. Hope you like it too.

5D---850mm---f6.3---ss1/4000th---ISO800---Hand held from truck@7:30am---40% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it

David

gail bisson
01-16-2019, 06:11 AM
Love, love that BG.
Always exciting to get a tack sharp bird blasting off.
Like you, I like the puff of dust from the perch.
Great frame!
Gail

David Roach
01-16-2019, 06:57 AM
Love the takeoff pose, sharpness right where it needs to be, the BG, perch and those eyes. TFS

Isaac Grant
01-16-2019, 11:13 AM
This is just to die for Dave. Classic Salem shot with beautiful details, killer action and a perfect background. :5

Gabriela Plesea
01-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Stunning image, David - congratulations:cheers:

Super techs and well exposed, pose is superb! Beautifully processed as expected, wonderful colours and BG is awesome.

Always a pleasure to view your images, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,

annmpacheco
01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Rock n roll Rockstar... Fabulouso Dave, killer frame, lift off, BG, sharpness and the dust left behind. Go Dave!

William Dickson
01-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Looking real good David...Killer BG and fab take off pose. You can feel the movement and power from the takeoff. Details perfect as per usual from you. Very well done.

Will

David Salem
01-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone!! Its one of my favorite Burrowing owl images!!

Dumay de Boulle
01-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Amazing take off pose, superb light and perch with a perfect BG....I would kill for one like it. Burrowing owls look incredible
Head look a little crunchy...Was this the amount of DOF you were looking for?

Bill Dix
01-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Superb takeoff pose as he launches himself after the beetle. Great eyes, wonderful light, detail, background. Another Salem killer frame.

dankearl
01-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Superb action and timing. The face does appear a bit oversharp... Love the dust.

David Salem
01-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Thanks again everyone!

It depends on the monitor you are viewing this with. I looked at it on a laptop and it dose look a little over sharpened but on my Imac it looks great. The TIFF is super sharp so downsizing may have made the face a little crunchy on a low resolution monitor.
Thanks again

David Salem
01-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Amazing take off pose, superb light and perch with a perfect BG....I would kill for one like it. Burrowing owls look incredible
Head look a little crunchy...Was this the amount of DOF you were looking for?

Thanks Dumay,

With this type of action shot I am not totally thinking about depth of field but I am more concerned about shutter speed and capturing A-sharp frame. Yes this is what I was hoping for as the feet are not too out of focus but the head is very sharp. Even at f13 I don't think the feet would be razor sharp as they are probably 2" behind the face.
Thanks again, I'm glad you like the image

Paul Burdett
01-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Hi David: Not much to add here...an inspirational image. I checked out your website...amazing photos. Your critiques of my photos are valued highly and motivate me to improve. Cheers.

Colin Driscoll
01-17-2019, 06:18 AM
Love those eyes clearly focused on that juicy beetle meal.

Dumay de Boulle
01-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Thanks for clarifying David!

Alex Becker
01-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Top notch image. The pose, details, BG, light, and bit of take off dust are all awesome. I'd love to photograph these guys at some point. TFS

Arthur Morris
01-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Sharp with a great pose. As expected :) Was the perch a set-up?

with love, artie

Mike Poole
01-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Phenomenal take off pose - I really need to consider one of these Nikon thingies so I can have sharp eyes instead of feet!

Mike

David Salem
01-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Sharp with a great pose. As expected :) Was the perch a set-up?

with love, artie
Thanks Artie!

Yes it was, I mentioned it on my last two posts of this guy and even wrote about Glenn and I hunting down suitable perches for the owls but probably should have mentioned it again.

Thanks again

David Salem
01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Phenomenal take off pose - I really need to consider one of these Nikon thingies so I can have sharp eyes instead of feet!

Mike

Hey Mike,

You might seriously, it's a game changer!

Arthur Morris
01-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Thanks Artie!

Yes it was, I mentioned it on my last two posts of this guy and even wrote about Glenn and I hunting down suitable perches for the owls but probably should have mentioned it again.

Thanks again

Thanks David, Us old folks do not have such good memories :)

with love, artie

arash_hazeghi
01-24-2019, 01:30 AM
super take off Dave, I hope the colony gets up to its strength down there