PDA

View Full Version : Swainson's Spur Fowl (Pternistis swainsonii)

Jonathan Ashton
01-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Taken from car window in Kruger Park.
Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II (Wish I had put the TC on!)
Auto ISO 1600, 1/1000 sec f9

ACR + PSCC 2019

I actually heard this little guy making such a racket, we cruised up and I was in such a rush to try and get him calling I didn't put the TC on. As it turned out if I did the moment would have been lost.

annmpacheco
01-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Wow Jon, pretty exciting to be in Kruger and what a find! Wonderful calling pose, with a terrific HA. I like the habitat, would wish for a perch without as many intersecting twigs, branches, but you cant control that here... I'd suggest more NR in the BG... Looking forward to more.

gail bisson
01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Yup-always take a few "safety shots" before changing or switching out gear! I have gotten burned by not doing that on a few occasions.
I really like the calling pose and the way the tail is facing us. Good clean view of the feet. These guys are on the ground 99% of the time so it is a treat to see the feet.
In a perfect world this guy would have perched 2 feet to the left or right to get rid of the gnarly branch but I still like it as is.
I wonder why you were at F9- 5.6 might have softened the BG a bit.
Gail

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Typical Kruger Park in the summer colours and busy perches of trees knocked down by Elephants.
Nice calling pose and the colours look spot on.

Joseph Przybyla
01-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Hey Jonathan, looks spot on to me. A tele would have given you a tighter image but if you wanted that I think this would stand up to being cropped. Thank you for sharing.

John Mack
01-15-2019, 05:26 PM
The calling pose is nice and i like the perch. Nice view of the bird as well.

David Salem
01-16-2019, 02:51 AM
Cool calling pose and the HA is about perfect. Nice colors and details too. Well done

William Dickson
01-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Nice setting John..very natural looking. Good HA and calling pose on the bird. I like the perch and colours throughout the image.

Will

Arthur Morris
01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Great bird and singing pose. Natural looking setting but distracting, esp. the skinny curved branch just in front of the bird's breast ...

with love, artie