PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gaur

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Hi all,
Here is another image of Indian Gaur from Bandhavgarh.
5D IV
200-400 L (Steve, I had borrowed this lens from a friend for the trip. I liked it a lot! Makes me want to sell my 100-400 and get this!)
1/320
f/4
ISO 3200

haseeb badar
01-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Hi Doc -- Another nice Gaur portrait . Colours look nice as per the time and condition as I can recall. But the lack of ss has affected the IQ as the face appears a bit crunchy for my taste . watch out for those hls on bottom lip and the horn . keep them coming

TFS !

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2019, 04:15 AM
Nice detail and tone. IQ does not look bad to me. Maybe the horn and ear could be sharper. Thanks Sanjeev!

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Hi Sanjeev, personally I find the previous image more engaging and perhaps the tonal range was better? The light appears very even on the face, where as the horn and nose could do with some localised adjustments (darken) to bring back some more depth & tonal range. The sharpness is good, but perhaps bordering on a fraction too much (personal taste as this is perceptual at this stage)? Here f/4 worked, but I would be careful as it drops off quickly.

(Steve, I had borrowed this lens from a friend for the trip. I liked it a lot! Makes me want to sell my 100-400 and get this!)

Yep, it is a great lens, but you have both the 100-400 & 500 MKII's yes, then if the Piggy Bank needs emptying, then buy a 1DX MKII. Stick the 100-400 on the 5D4 and the 500 with the 1.4 on the 1DX, an awesome combo. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
01-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Hello Sanjeev,

Thank you for sharing another Gaur image, this is a species we have not seen much on this forum:)

Nice pose and framing once again. Good colours, sharpening looks ok to me. Won't repeat what already been said, I just want to add that what is missing here is perhaps that clear view of the eye, which you had in the previous image because of the HA. Oh, those long lashes:Whoa!:

Let us see some more from this trip, please. I enjoyed viewing, Sanjeev:S3:

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
01-15-2019, 01:20 PM
I just want to add that what is missing here is perhaps that clear view of the eye

Excellent spot Gabriela!

Gabriela Plesea
01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Excellent spot Gabriela!

Well, just like Mr. Detail...I too see things:bg3:

You might agree, what made the previous image was that expression, the eye, and the little reflection in it, of the sky. I take it the Gaur is known as a creature of vast strength, yet in the previous image he looked somewhat innocent and gentle - the opposite of what one would expect. This is where the strength of that frame comes from, the surprise element - one expects the Gaur to be guileless and impersonal and instead finds the opposite:S3:

John Mack
01-15-2019, 05:35 PM
I like this more than the one you posted the other day. Nice pose and the light looks brighter. Neat eye lashes on this gaur.