PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Scaup from the kayak

Dorian Anderson
01-13-2019, 08:35 PM
There aren't many good frames of this usually overlooked bird - particularly in flight - so I was stoked to get this male as he fled my boat this morning.
Wish his head was turned towards me a touch more, but I'll take it given the challenge of this speedy species.

There was a ton of wind (hence the waves in the shot) and my arms were beat by the end of my 2.5 hours on the water. Switching between the paddle
and the camera is a real challenge. The birds always seem to fly off the instant before I drop the paddle and grab the camera!

Weather has been shite in Bay Area for 2 weeks, so it was nice to get out this morning before 5 more days of rain hit this week. This is my first frame
of 2019.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
1/3200 at f/7.1, ISO 1600, handheld (barely) in kayak

Isaac Grant
01-13-2019, 09:32 PM
This is killer Dorian. Beautiful details and wing position. I think the image would benefit from lifting the exposure a bit. This species is high on my list of birds to get this winter and I have a trip lined up to a spot to get them.

dankearl
01-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Whoa,, the wave in front is just the icing.
In an absolute perfect world the duck would be angling your way a tad but this is about
as perfect a flying duck photo in the real world as a person could get.
Just beautiful colors and I think the Scalp is a great subject.

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Beautiful Shot. I agree with your critique.

How did you get this shot ? Can you provide more details about kayak set up and photography from Kayak etc... ?

Thanks for sharing.

arash_hazeghi
01-14-2019, 02:58 AM
nice frame Dorian, I like how the wing is almost touching the water. great flight shot of this bird, the bird is perfectly parallel to the back of the camera can't ask for much more

TFS

David Cowling
01-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Wonderful shot taken under difficult conditions. The wave just in front of the bird helps to give depth to the image. The bird is very sharp with good feather detail but may benefit from just a tad of additional brightness.

Ivan Sjogren
01-14-2019, 10:52 AM
This one really impressed me! Images like these are almost impossible on the Great Scaups in Sweden. Dito all the posititves above. The wave in the foreground and the low angle is really nice!

annmpacheco
01-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Excellent Dorian, sharp as can be, great head color, and love the waves, so well done!

David Roach
01-14-2019, 12:47 PM
OK... So let me get this straight... 2.5 hours of paddling... high winds... 600mm F4 with 1dx brick... see bird... drop paddle... grab that heavy rig... and this is what you get... what can i say... just dumbfounded... TFS

sasan nejadi
01-14-2019, 01:26 PM
excellent shot Dorian , image quality , head angle and eye contact is great ....TFS

Stu Bowie
01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Hi Dorian, brilliant flight pose, and you have nailed the sharpness. Overall exposure looks good, as the green sheen on the head shows up nicely. I like how the near wave is in focus with the duck.

You mention your subjects fly as you drop your paddle to pick up your camera. I experience the same thing on a self drive in a game reserve. As you slowly drive up to an animal, you turn off your engine, the animal stares at you with 100% eye contact. As you pick up your camera from your lap, it bolts. Feel any better. :bg3::bg3:

Geoffrey Montagu
01-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Phenomenal capture under any circumstances, Dorian. Like the proximity of the wing and wave.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

John Mack
01-14-2019, 06:36 PM
This was very hard to get with the situation you describe. Love the pose and that blue water.

David Salem
01-15-2019, 02:25 AM
Saweeeeet frame Dorian!! The techs look awesome and you don't to many IF of scaup, so I am jealous!! I got to get up there and take you up on shooting out of a Kayak. Well done buddy!

gail bisson
01-15-2019, 01:10 PM
This is a fantastic frame!
Tack sharp, perfect wing position and a hint of a head turn makes this PMP as Artie says (pretty much perfect!)
Gail
Gail

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Cracking image Dorian. IQ, blacks and the pose are fantastic. Very nice!!

Arthur Morris
01-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Spectacular on all counts. I love how the near win is between the two wavelets ... And everything else about this one.

with love, artie