PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Woodpecker with chick

Steve Enns
06-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Here's a recent favorite... There's quite a few busy bird parents around these days.

ISO 400, 1/400, F7.1 (I don't know any photo theory - need to learn a lot about flash and exposure.)

Greetings from the Canadian prairies,
Steve

Sharna Lee
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I like it. Touching moment with mother and chick.
I kind of wish the bottom wasn't cut off but it's still a sharp image.

Sharna

Alfred Forns
06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Big Welcome Steve !!!!!

Great first post !!!!! I like the intimate look, almost eye level view, both visible/ sharp and good head angles. Showing he entire bird or as presented is a mater of taste and you did well by cutting deliberate rather than clipping the tail.

Could go back to the baby and lighten the face a bit, fill flash would have helped here Not sure how far you were from the birds but flash along with the BB would have helped. Your basic exposure was good, light was coming slightly to your right making the left side of bird slightly darker !!! Very good and appealing !! Looking forward to many more !!!

Grace Scalzo
06-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Hello, Steve.
Such an appealing image....you have so much interesting detail, the eye of the parent down to his feet. Just for fun, I might try cropping closer, which might emphase the exchange between parent and chick. (Your crop is fine, just another thought).
HOpe to see more of your work!

Steve Enns
06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks very much Alfred. Forgot to put in that it was at 400mm. Had the BB on, but none of the flash shots were good. Have to do a little reading and work with the flash more.
S.

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Steve,
Love the interaction! I think Grace may be on to something.........a little tighter crop off the bottom would emphasize the feeding even more while making the presented clip even less noticible. Worth looking into.

Arthur Morris
06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Welcome Steve. Excellent as is. A bit of flash would have lit up the baby. If you had taken a step back you might have fit the whole adult in a vertical frame... Do check out ABP II if you want to learn a ton quickly.