PDA

View Full Version : Elaphant Seal bulls fighting

Andreas Liedmann
01-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Hi folks found another frame of this species ...
Again from the South Georgia Island trip 2012 .... other landing site called " Right Whale Bay "
By walking on land we had loads of opportunities for taking images from different species .
Saw these two bulls from distance having a fight ....sadly i cut off the flippers from the LHS ....well well , things happen . Still do like the action.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 7,1 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/1250 sec .... again the techs :w3

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 , slight crop from top and bottom

Thanks for the feedback to previous postings

Cheers Andreas

John Mack
01-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Nice to see the same pose on them. Those scars are really neat. They must really get into it. The details look very good.

greg cowle
01-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Nice action, well captured. I would probably crop closer in given the cut flipper, both somewhere on the torso, maybe go portrait with the upward stretch.

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Working your way through the bodies Andreas? :S3: Again, 'another step' change with this body, but still delivering great images.

Can't find any fault in the capture apart from the flipper as you said, great tonal range, setting look fine albeit 'perhaps 1/1600 - 1/2000SS'. Why PP in DPP and not C1?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Thanks folks for your comments ...much appreciated .:S3:

Greg - the crop suggestion you made is nothing for me , from the technical POV , as i do not like to loose a lot of pixels . I rather live with the clipped flippers.

Steve - just working through folders/images regardless of the bodies ....:w3:bg3:. I am with you about the SS .... i have images with stupidly slow SS from that trip , sadly . Not usable from todays POV :e3. Well as you might have noticed i like to jump between the two ( DPP and C1 ) ....both have their advantages , i would like to stay with DPP and some additional tools from C1 implemented :w3:w3:w3.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-13-2019, 07:33 AM
I am with you about the SS .... i have images with stupidly slow SS from that trip , sadly .

Andreas, at present I am finding I am now toggling between the two camps. India had some crazy setting because of - 'dark habitat into track, with much lighter conditions' and no time to change because as you know, Tiger sighting are often few & far between, plus fighting between vehicle for position.

I'm with you about mix & match, if LR also had some of the C1 advantages, I too would be a very happy bunny, but am constantly reviewing LR updates because of the subtle changes they do 'behind the scenes' which few folk pick up on, or don't realise. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Steve , yes India is crazy when it comes to Tigers :w3 .... i have not the best memories from the last trip , i rather skip the Tiger reserves and do something else even if i do find Tigers special, as yourself. I would rather go again to Russia .... About the things that are going on behind the scenes ....i do not know what is going on in C1 " behind the scenes " ... at least i hope i can trust the linear tone curve .

Gabriela Plesea
01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
I like this Andreas - gives me the feeling those two bulls are alone in this vast landscape, amazing those battle scars and fantastic pose.
Sorry about the flippers, Boetie. I still think it's an awesome capture and well processed too, nice definition on the Seals and great colours, action is superb:cheers:

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
01-13-2019, 01:53 PM
Thanks Gabriela for your comment ... much appreciated , yo those flippers :w3.
The thing is i have images with the flippers .... but then their positions where less good .....
Cheers Andreas

greg cowle
01-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Andreas, sorry my critique is nothing to you.

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2019, 02:18 PM
Greg ... ????
What do you mean by this ?
I think i got nothing wrong ....:w3

haseeb badar
01-15-2019, 01:19 AM
Excellent work Andreas yet again , apart from the flipper everything looks perfect . loved the settings and the moment is exceptional, lovely tones as well. Superbly done.

TFS !

Dumay de Boulle
01-15-2019, 04:45 AM
IQ is amazing....Amazing poses and shooting angle. I love the scars. Flipper included would have made this perfect. Very nice image!

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys , your comment is much appreciated .
Cheers Andreas