PDA

View Full Version : Northern Saw-whet Owl #2

Bill Dix
01-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Same bird, captured on New Year's Day. Another frame, this time with a head turn and one eye open. Would have liked to get a frontal stare with both eyes open, but I was lucky enough just to get an almost unobstructed view. I was looking through a tiny opening in the vegetation, so a move of a few inches either way obstructed him. Subsequent visits have found him buried deep within the Junipers.

D500, 500f4, ISO 3200, 1/320s @ f/5.6 manual; Gitzo and Mongoose.

John Mack
01-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Like how the owl is tucked in there nice and tight. The fluffed up look is nice as well.

Stu Bowie
01-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Hi Bill, lovely and cozy, nestled and framed in between the branches. I do like the detail, and maybe lightening the eye a touch may help.

Mike Poole
01-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Just superb Bill, I liked the previous frame, but the open eye means this knocks spots off the first. Agree with Stu about possibly lightening the eye a touch

Mike

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
These guys are always a treat to find. I agree with lightening the eye (iris only, of course). Good job finding a keyhole through the vegetation.

Arthur Morris
01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Hi Bill, lovely and cozy, nestled and framed in between the branches. I do like the detail, and maybe lightening the eye a touch may help.

Smart man from where I sit. I used several techniques to brighten the iris; simply pulling the curve up a lot helped the most.

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
01-13-2019, 10:16 AM
On a second look I would say that the curve on the whole image could have been pulled up. IOW, it is too dark overall for me as presented.

with love, a

Bill Dix
01-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Thank you all. In this repost I've used Curves to brighten the entire image slightly, and then brightened the iris further. I appreciate the suggestions.