PDA

View Full Version : No Gannets on the Hooptie Deux

Arthur Morris
06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Had the pleasure of joining James Shadle on the Hooptie Deux on Friday afternoon. There were tons of baby spoonbills just out of the nest. This was my very favorite image.

Canon 600mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 800. Evaluative metering off the hazy sky + 1 1/3 stops: 1/640 sec. at f/5.6 set manually. Flash did not fire.

James and I use different camera systems and determine our exposures in totally different ways. We have photographed together dozens of times and cross-check our exposures frequently. Now here is something amazing: 90% of the time we are using the exact same exposure settings and the other 10% of the time we differ by only 1/3 stop. Our exposures have never been more than a 1/3 stop different...

(ORIG image cropped from the bottom and canvas added top and right.)

Arthur Morris
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Here is the same bird with the bands removed. I used Robert O'Toole's Quick Masking techniques, the Patch Tool, and a few clicks of the Clone Stamp for clean-up. This image is labeled to include "bands removed."

James Shadle
06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
What a save.
The wing and feather detail is so beautiful, it was a shame to have bands on this bird (as well as a shame how they band them).
You nailed the exposure and sharpness (of course) and I love the balance of the image.

Capt James Shadle aka Froggie aka Darth

Sharna Lee
06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Artie,
This is such a beautiful bird. Your wing position is lovely. The color and the bg are a pure delight.
I really need to learn that QM technique.

Excellent post.

Sharna

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-29-2008, 04:31 AM
What, no gannets :) !! Just beautiful Artie - couldn't wish for better.
Regards,
Nicki

Alfred Forns
06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Could be on your finest spoons Artie Would rate right up there with the one from Little Estero after the storm !!!! Big Congrats !!!

Lana Hays
07-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Artie
I love spoonie images but I really love this one. What makes this one so appealing (in addition to such great techs) is hard to describe. Best I can come up with is a creamy look......but certainly not soft. Colors are beautiful. This reminds me of a "Pink Angel".

Axel Hildebrandt
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Excellent image, I like how you removed the jewelry. The light, pose and details are great and so is the complementing BG.

Arthur Morris
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks all! I love this one too.

Harold Stiver
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow, this is spectacular. I would have removed the jewellry for sure.Its always a bit of a let down to get a great shot and find its been banded.

This is a species i would love to spend a day with, it is just exquisite in color especially in a soft light.

i can't imagine a better capture of it than this.

Julie Kenward
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
That's really an incredible photograph. That Hooptie Deux must have some magic karma following it.

Diane Chenault
07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I love your Spoonbill image Arthur. I have heard other say the Nikon & Canon are way off on their exporsure. I have not found this to be true & glad to hear you say it. I try to practice the things you have taught me over the years. Your have taught me more about my Nikon equipment that anyone else & I greatly appreciate your help & what your try to do for others.

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I love your Spoonbill image Arthur. I have heard other say the Nikon & Canon are way off on their exporsure. I have not found this to be true & glad to hear you say it. I try to practice the things you have taught me over the years. Your have taught me more about my Nikon equipment that anyone else & I greatly appreciate your help & what your try to do for others.

Big time :):):). Thanks for your kind words.

The bottom line is that NO camera will get you the right exposure more than 30% of the time )at most) when doing nature photography. Learn your camera and learn how to get some data in the last histogram box on the right and your exposures will be near perfect.