PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hornbill Portrait

Stu Bowie
01-07-2019, 03:07 AM
These large Ground Hornbills are constantly on the move through the grasslands looking for food. They will eat anything they find including tortoises. This was captured in the Kruger National Park, and I was lucky to have captured a decent HA, as mostly, they are walking away from me.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8mm
1/1600
F/8.0
ISO 640

Hand held from the car.

Steve Kaluski
01-07-2019, 04:14 AM
Hi Stu, great that you got this close, they have always been very skittish for me.

Is this FF or cropped Stu, as I would like to have had all the throat in. Just watch your Blacks, there is some lovely detail in the eyelashes and in the front, plus the bill that can get lost, don't 'pinch' that histogram in PP. :S3:

Lovely capture Bud!

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
01-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Hi Stu, great that you got this close, they have always been very skittish for me.

Is this FF or cropped Stu,

Thanks Steve. This is full frame, so stuck in a car, with not much room to move around with a constantly moving subject. I agree, the full throat would have been first prize.

Steve Kaluski
01-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Stu, what you got is still a belter, although I think you got a better one a few years back too, must travel with you next time, Alison can hold the 'red' in the back :bg3:.

I agree, the full throat would have been first prize.

:cheers::5

David Cowling
01-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Wonderful image. What a fascinating bird, those eyelashes are to die for! Techs well handled except for a bit of blocking on the blacks at right hand side. Ditto a bit more view of the throat. Never seen one of these, what sort of height are they?

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Great shot Stu, did you notice all the ticks?? I did not manage to get any head shots like this I know they are non compliant so well done. Focus looks good and DOF fine, I wonder if the neck is just a tad clipped?

Stu Bowie
01-07-2019, 07:47 AM
although I think you got a better one a few years back too,

I was waiting for you bring that up - I cant find it. :w3

Stu Bowie
01-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Great shot Stu, did you notice all the ticks??

Thanks Jon. Yes I did, and best to leave as is, as that's the way it should be.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Hi Stu, These characters are so photogenic, and you have a fine portrait of this individual. This is so sharp we can see the structure of each eyelash hair. Great background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Gabriela Plesea
01-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Lovely capture dear Stu!

Had the same experience recently in the Kruger with the species, they walked away as soon as they saw us. One caught a massive grasshopper and thew it in the air before swallowing it, but tall grasses got in the way...imagine my frustration! On one occasion they seemed not to care about us and even got close to the vehicle, but who wants a tar road as BG...

I like the HA here and that beautiful detail in the eye. Colours are spot-on. Superb background. Love it Stu, ticks and all:bg3:

In agreement with Steve regarding the blacks. The reds look great to me and those slight HL are natural in strong light because it's bare skin and it shines:w3

Wonderful work my friend, I enjoyed viewing, very much. Have a lovely rest of the week,

And warmest regards to you and Colleen,

John Mack
01-07-2019, 06:34 PM
My first though was look at those eye lashes. Like the composition and the details here.

annmpacheco
01-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Wow, what a grande bird! I do love those eyelashes and the shadows. Such interesting details throughout and there is quite a collection of small black round ticks on the throat creases as well as the fatty tick along side the throat/neck; adds more interest! Super, love the hornbill.

Jim Crosswell
01-08-2019, 06:32 PM
The eyelashes on these birds kill me. I like the composition, IQ and BG. Very well done Stu!

William Dickson
01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Nice one Stu...Wow what great colours you have captured here. The feather detail and bill are absolutely fabulous. Killer BG and a lovely crop, and perfect HA.

Will

Arthur Morris
01-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Ditto all the positives above. I best like the shadows of the eyelashes on the iris.

with love, artie