PDA

View Full Version : Melanistic American Goldfinch

gail bisson
01-05-2019, 08:49 AM
For the past month, this unusual goldfinch has been coming to my feeders. We call her Melania!!:bg3:
Unlike a leucistic or albino bird that lacks pigment, this little lady (or boy) has too much melanin.
She has been difficult to photograph well, as she prefers to feed on the ground. On this day, we had some overnight snow and she landed on the snow on the deck railing.
I am posting this mostly to show you the unusual subject as opposed to being a great image!
Canon 1 DX 600mm and 1.4 x
f 6.3 SS 1/640 ISO 1600
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

gail bisson
01-05-2019, 08:53 AM
For those BPN members who do not know what an American Goldfinch should look like.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-05-2019, 04:55 PM
What a great looking variation and good pose, Gail. Nice BG with the smallest flakes of snow falling. Would love to see one of these in person.

Lovely capture of the usual winter plumage as well. Like the snow settled in the perch.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

John Mack
01-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Very neat to see this. Something you don't see everyday. I like the composition and the pose on the bird.

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Cool Image. I am see this for the first time.

TFS

Isaac Grant
01-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Such a cool looking goldfinch. Glad you finally got a shot of it. I would lift the exposure a tiny bit on the bird and run a bit of NR on it as well.

Bill Dix
01-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Truly unusual Goldfinch, with a great name.:S3: And a fine image. I've never seen one like it. Thanks for sharing it.

Alex Becker
01-06-2019, 10:16 PM
This is really cool. Agree with some NR on the bird. I like the 'perch'. Nice to see the claws as well. TFS

Jake Levin
01-06-2019, 10:47 PM
That's a first for me! I've only seen melanistic (black) squirrels and didn't know goldfinches could have the same pigmentation. It might be an unusual bird but the image is nicely captured, and he/she really stands out nicely against the white snow in the foreground. Only thing I would fix is the little orange speck of something-or-other in the snow below behind the bird.