PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woodpecker

Jim Crosswell
01-01-2019, 06:23 PM
This was taken today at my backyard setup. Very dark day with strong winds coming off the lake. Hope you enjoy one of my first images for 2019. Happy New Year!

Nikon D500
Sigma 150-600 @600mm
ISO 1600
f6.3
1/200s
Tripod
Hide

gail bisson
01-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Happy new Year Jim!
Good solid image of this WP.Love the clean look at the foot and the clean 2 toned BG.
It is nice how the tree trunk creates a bit of a diagonal line.
Exposure spot on.
Looks like your set-up will bring you lots of nice images,
Gail

Isaac Grant
01-02-2019, 12:46 PM
Good view of this woodpecker. Love that we can see the foot. For me the whole image is too dark and the colors of the bird are off. The blacks are too dull and the whites are too gray. Did a quick repost where I addressed the exposure, deepened the blacks and whitened the whites. Also removed a bit of yellow from the tree and ran som NR on background as it got some noise after my global adjustments. The whites of the chest and eyebrow are a bit hot on my repost but did not do selective stuff that is much better done on the full res file. Just to show about where I think the colors and exposure should be.

John Mack
01-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Looking good. Nice perch and a great background. Nice and sharp. Nice image over all.

Jim Crosswell
01-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks Gail, Isaac and John. Isaac repost is an improvement. I will give it another try, thanks for taking your time reworking it.