PDA

View Full Version : White-tail buck

John Mack
01-01-2019, 08:28 AM
This image was created in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park on 11/29/18 at 2:15PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
374mm
ISO 8000
f5.6
1/500sec

Steve Kaluski
01-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Hi John, I like the darker atmosphere here and you can see the drops of rain, but to me the image lacks the DoF being so close and the blacks/contrast too strong. If you want more of the rain to show then a much lower SS, however if you had increased the doF then you would have lost the rain because the DoF would have swallowed it up. Therefore, shooting at 600mm, f/5.6 famed a little looser, at say 1/125 would be perhaps better, but retaining rain can be hit & miss so constantly reviewing the image is required.

The eyes and white in the neck fur appear 'sharpish', the ears are slightly tailing off, but both rack & nose are soft.

I've not pushed my 5D4 beyond ISO6400, but it I feel it has not got the capability of the 1DX MK2, plus the higher you go, the Dynamic ranges goes too, so just be mindful that often it is a balancing ac at times.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
01-03-2019, 05:13 AM
The contrast looks a little heavy to me and I get te imprecision you are more focused on the ears and antlers rather than eyes/nose. I have gone above ISO 8000 with 5D IV, the results are variable, I found the main issue is keeping the image well exposed and ensuring contrast is controlled.