PDA

View Full Version : Indian palm squirrel or three-striped palm squirrel

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Taken whilst have breakfast in Ranthambore and a break from Tigers. Not ideal, lying on the ground with Langur monkeys above you eating, as when 'nature calls'...

I guess they are from the same family as Tree/Ground squirrels?

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Indian Palm squirrel (Funambulus palmarum) eating seeds
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 100-400f/4.5 MKII
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO200
Original format: Landscape, width FF, slight crop at foot/top
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

NOT baited.

Gabriela Plesea
12-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Hello Steve,

Love this little one and her munching pose! Never seen a striped squirrel before, she looks so pretty and delicate. More like a tree squirrel, the ground ones are usually bigger and somewhat scruffy looking:)

Nice POV and framing, well exposed and colours are lovely. Subject blends well in this environment. Great techs ( I cannot remember when last I was able to shoot at ISO 200!!!) and super PP work, the vegetation in the FG is not too obvious and BG is stunning.

Hope the Langur monkeys did not give you too much trouble at the scene:bg3: Are there ticks in India, and if so, did you use some protection? I got bitten by a few pepper ticks last Sunday, just from walking around while having a sundowner in the bush:tinysmile_shy_t:

Enjoyed viewing this frame, very much. Just curious, have you tried flipping it?

Hope to see more from your trip, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,

John Mack
12-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Nice low angle and feeding pose on the squirrel. The details look very nice.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Lovely details colours and the fact she is nibbling. You have caught the forest floor environment admirably. The only shortcome for me is that she is at a right angle to the camera from tip to toe, i.e. she is not engaging in any way.

Gabriela Plesea
12-21-2018, 01:02 PM
John, she is engaging with a tasty seed:t3:bg3:

Rachel Hollander
12-21-2018, 06:12 PM
Hi Steve - I hope you had someone watching your back for you. Nice low pov and I don't mind the parallel to the sensor pose with the seed. Does it need the slightest amount of ccw rotation? Now, I have to go look for other images from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
12-22-2018, 08:50 AM
As usual IQ is top notch. I would have tried to go a little further right as it looks like there would have been a better angle as the OOF foliage is less on the right. Also this would have given a better head angle as you can see the back ear so this indicates to me the HA is a little away from you. Nice image!

Andreas Liedmann
12-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Hi Steve ... a nice shot at perfect low level !!
Makes a difference , well done . IQ as usually top notch and i do like the overall tonal/color palette , although i might add a tiny bit more mid tones in the red channel .
Comp and pose of the subject are working nicely together , well done .
Just asking for curiosity .... i do have the impression that you darkened the FG and BG in post ? If so i would lower the effect , unless the effect was natural .
Wondering about your techs ...as i think more DOF would have helped with the squirrel being all sharp . There is a quick fall off as one can see in the hind leg , well for sure a matter of taste .

Hope you had a good time in India , did you go with AR ?

TFS Andreas