PDA

View Full Version : Northern Hawk Owls

Ivan Sjogren
12-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Finding this breeding pair of Northern Hawk Owls was one of the highlights of the year for me. I heard a odd sound from the forrest when walking back to my camp in the end of the day. I decided to slowly approach and investigate the noise when I found two of the chicks on top of a big trunk. What a treat! Unfortunately, it was very late in the day and any photo-opportunity was impossible due to the now darkening forest interior. The next day I set up a hide and waited the whole day to get a chance to see the adults feeding the chicks. It was a wonderful moment to get this close to such an intimate stage of the bird’s development.

I'm aware that some people will find the branch in the BG distracting, especially the green leaves closest to the bird but I decided to publish this version where no clong have been done.

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 500mm f/4.0 IS II, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/1000s. Processed in Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

dankearl
12-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Great moment captured, I wish the blurred wing was not right behind the prey... I might try to remove it.
I can't read the greyed out settings but it seems soft, maybe slow SS?

gail bisson
12-20-2018, 12:01 PM
WOW! What a find and I can certainly understand why this was your highlight of 2018.
This is truly wonderful- eye level view of a fairly skittish raptor feeding its fledgling.
Great clean BG, wonderful interaction.
Image is very nice as is but if you are not against cloning I would clone out that white circle behind parent's back and remove the OOF stick intersecting with the back of the neck of the parent.
I would also take a bit off the top.
Would LOVE to have this in my files,
Gail

Isaac Grant
12-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Super cool behavioral shot of an impressive species. Perch and background are nice as well. I agree with Gail re the cloning if you are ok with that. As for the processing I think you could add a few points of black to the mid tones in selective color and increase the exposure by a touch and you would be spot on.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Remarkable capture and story, Ivan. Well worth the time you put in to get this moment. Beautiful light and great detail.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

John Mack
12-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Cool story. Awesome frame of these two interacting. As for the branch in the background i could care less.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2018, 03:03 AM
Beautiful image, the only thing I would change would be the specular highlight above the shoulder of the bird on the left.

annmpacheco
12-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Hi Ivan, wonderful capture and story. I agree with the above suggestions, but you have yourself a real gem! Merry Christmas to you

Walker Noe
12-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Owls are my favorite and this is fantastic. TFS

Arthur Morris
12-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Far beyond killer. The baby is too, too cute.

with love, a

David Salem
12-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Very nice natural frame. It takes time and patience to get a frame like this so I really respect this one a lot!! Well done

arash_hazeghi
01-02-2019, 11:57 PM
sweet interaction with prey! all been said