PDA

View Full Version : White-tailed kite

arash_hazeghi
12-20-2018, 12:17 AM
Another WTK image, this is an adult birds, hard to see but he has actually tucked away what's left a vole

Nikon D850 600DL+1.4X ISO 1600 f/5.6 at 1/3200 sec hand held. Processed with Capture One Pro

hope you like it

gail bisson
12-20-2018, 07:29 AM
This is just WOW! Doesn't get better than this.
I cannot find anything to critique- as Artie says_ PMP!
As is often the case with these dark green BG's, there is some pixellation on the JPEG ( on my 21" iMac) but I know the TIFF looks awesome.
Gail

Ivan Sjogren
12-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Superb image, as usual! Wing position is spot on, the slight headturn and the contrast against that dark BG. Lovely execution with great details in both black and whites, nice sharpness and comp. Congrats!

dankearl
12-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Terrific IQ and details per usual, I would take some off the right side behind the bird.

arash_hazeghi
12-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Thanks all,

Gail no posterization from here

happy holidays everyone

John Mack
12-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Nice pose, nice light and a nice frame. Great background.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2018, 02:59 AM
What an impressive image - sort of deluxe look about it, the bird looks just about perfect.
I do see quite a bit of posterisation in the BG, most evident to the right of the wing above the tail and above your name.

Paul Burdett
12-21-2018, 04:20 AM
Inspirational as always Arash. TFS

annmpacheco
12-21-2018, 10:45 AM
a beauty Arash... Love the look and the dark BG . Yes on the posterization on my IMAc 5K, why causes that in layman's terms please? Compression of pixels TIFF to JPEG?

arash_hazeghi
12-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks I don’t see posterization in my 32” 4K NEC monitor

posterization is caused by 2 things

JPEG compression. JPEG files are 8 bit only
inability of the monitor to render continuous tones. This is common for consumer monitors.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Not bad. When are you switching back to Canon?

The red eye here is killer and so is the rest.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Thanks I don’t see posterization in my 32” 4K NEC monitor

posterization is caused by 2 things

JPEG compression. JPEG files are 8 bit only
inability of the monitor to render continuous tones. This is common for consumer monitors.

Arash, I am fascinated, I have a BEN Q SW 2700P photographic monitor, not an expensive one but from the write ups I had read I got the impression it handled colour and BIT depth pretty well especially when calibrated using the Palette Master associated software. I also have an Eizo monitor which is subject to more stringent QC control manufacturing procedure, but having said that the BEN Q appears to be holding pretty good. (Max delta E 0.6, mean 0.3 last calibration) I understood BIT depth associated issues were well catered for in the BEN Q despite the fact this is not the professional version (which I nearly bought but I reckoned I wouldn't actually see the difference in performance.) I don't expect my monitor to be as good as one costing several fold outlay but I have never seen posterisation in any of your other images. Could you suggest where I might start looking at any of my calibration or technical specs?

arash_hazeghi
12-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Arash, I am fascinated, I have a BEN Q SW 2700P photographic monitor, not an expensive one but from the write ups I had read I got the impression it handled colour and BIT depth pretty well especially when calibrated using the Palette Master associated software. I also have an Eizo monitor which is subject to more stringent QC control manufacturing procedure, but having said that the BEN Q appears to be holding pretty good. (Max delta E 0.6, mean 0.3 last calibration) I understood BIT depth associated issues were well catered for in the BEN Q despite the fact this is not the professional version (which I nearly bought but I reckoned I wouldn't actually see the difference in performance.) I don't expect my monitor to be as good as one costing several fold outlay but I have never seen posterisation in any of your other images. Could you suggest where I might start looking at any of my calibration or technical specs?

Ho Jon, it is mostly a function of your monitor's bit depth, most consumer monitors (including all iMac models) are 8-Bits, I have never seen the monitor you mention so you have to look at the specs to see if it is 10-Bit, 8-Bit, 6-Bit or if it uses a look up table . When working with 16 Bit TIFF's the 8-Bit monitors often don't show posterization but when the image has readily been compressed the problem gets worse.

In addition to a 10-Bit monitor you also need a video card capable for 10-Bit output, most high end and mid-tier Nvidia cards can output at 10-Bits per color or 32-Bit color through DP. In windows you can check it under the control panel. On the Mac side only the 2013 trash can Mac Pro (now obsolete) allowed you to output 10-Bits...

The image above does show posterization when I look at it on my 2017 Mac Book Pro 15" monitor but not on my 32" NEC...

hope this helps

Jonathan Ashton
12-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Arash thank you for getting back, I am always keen to expand my understanding of the physics.. I have taken note of those settings in the screen capture and adopted them (I am assuming it does no harm?? It was not originally set to Highest 32-bit nor 10bpc).
Looking at the technical specs of my monitor: Panel Bit Depth is 10 bits (8 bits+FRC), the LUT is 3D LUT 14 bits. So I get the impression the monitor is calibrated to a higher level than which it is capable of displaying.......am I getting close?
I have looked again at your image, it's difficult to say for sure but I still see posterisation - but I subjectively think rather less so.

arash_hazeghi
12-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Hi Jon that means your monitor is really 8bits. The look up table is just a marketing gimmick ( it means the monitor uses a software to try to fill in for those missing bits ), a good analogy is digital zoom vs optical zoom. Not the real thing. In order to use the 10 bit mode your monitor needs to have true 10 bit hardware. Otherwise it has no effect whether you set the output to 8 or 10 bpc in windows...

Best

Jonathan Ashton
12-23-2018, 04:15 AM
Great, understood, I was getting there! Thanks again.

David Salem
12-31-2018, 11:03 AM
Wow! You have been killing these Kites!!