PDA

View Full Version : Masked Shrike

Svetoslav Spasov
06-28-2008, 01:19 PM
This beautiful male masked shrike had a favorite perching place, he was coming back in every 10 min. It is a bit far away for a good picture, but the nest with the female was nearby and I didn’t want to disturb them. I took this image from the car, about 20 m away. All comments are welcome.<o>

</o> 40D, 300 f4 IS +1.4x, ISO 640, f5.6, 1/200, hand held, IS on.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I am sure this is a beautiful bird, it is a shame you did not have the focal length, (it happens to me too!) the bird looks a bit blurred, I would suggest placing this subject on one of the thirds of the image, nice image anyways.

Fabs Forns
06-28-2008, 03:22 PM
HI Svetoslav, 1/200 is pushing the limits for hand holding your combo even if IS was on. If you sharpened the perch, I'd go back on the effect a little bit, since eit looks sharper than the bird. Agree on placing small subjects closer to the corners, composition wise. Thanks for sharing this environmental image :)

Arthur Morris
06-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Though the bird is tiny in the frame, I like it. And the bird looks pretty sharp. The rule of thirds would not work well here; Svetoslav's framing here is the best available... Still would love to see a 3/4 frame image of this species... Once the young are hatched getting closer should be fine.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Though the bird is tiny in the frame, I like it. And the bird looks pretty sharp. The rule of thirds would not work well here; Svetoslav's framing here is the best available... Still would love to see a 3/4 frame image of this species... Once the young are hatched getting closer should be fine.
Ok Arthur, I would like to know why the rule of thirds does not work in here?
Thank you in advance for the explanation.

Arthur Morris
07-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Because if you keep the width of the originally posted image, you need to inlcude the whole broken branch in the lower left corner. If you crop from the right, then the rule of 1/3rds would be fine as above... In any case, the broken branch end is both unfortunate and distracting, but the bird is wonderful and sharp.