PDA

View Full Version : Male Ostrich feeding

Stu Bowie
12-19-2018, 03:12 AM
I visited my local nature reserve just down the road from me early yesterday morning, and found this Ostrich feeding. How I achieved this shot. Ostriches are constantly on the move, and when they are feeding in the grasslands, they peck at what ever they are intending to eat, which is grass and plant matter. They will walk with their heads raised in a normal walking pose, and then bend their necks low towards the ground and peck a few times at the foliage. I was driving slowly next to this male, waiting for him to start walking parallel to my car. I then drove slightly ahead, turned off my engine, and waited for him to be parallel to me. I was also in my drivers seat, shooting through the car and out the passenger window. All the time, trying to track his head as he raised and lowered his head to feed. Did I mention this happens fairly rapidly. Taken early morning.

Canon ID Mk IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/640
F/5.6
ISO 640

Hand Held from the car.

annmpacheco
12-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Well executed Stu, I think you have a handsome male with large ears! I just can't recall another bird with ears quite so large and in scale with the head dimension. Also the eye has some grey eye liner and eyelid color! And to wrap it up, lipstick... This is what happens when I stare at a bird! I really like the softness of the light, the feeding scape and the touch of pink flowers. Excellent exposure and terrific control of the dark body feathers. And, I like the chin feathers too.

John Mack
12-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Looks very sharp. Especially for all the movement you described. Love how the neck forms that U. Details look very nice. Good job on the timing.

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2018, 08:54 PM
This is great Stu! I love the intimacy of the image. The curve of the neck is superb. The one grass tip nearly touching the chin bugs me a bit, but I love everything else about the image. Good "fieldcraft" form your car too.

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Hi Stu, that's a cracking frame, great perspective and cool detail, the OOF backdrop separates the subject well.

I just wonder if overall it's a bit red, going negative on the WB & Tint I think may help???

All the best Bud for the Festive period & New Year, bet banjo & Axel will get spoilt rotten. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Isaac Grant
12-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Great look at this bird. I really like the perspective and the curves. Along with the delicate grasses I think it is very nice. I agree that the image is a bit red and would probably lower the saturation of the reds by maybe 20 points.

Joseph Przybyla
12-20-2018, 06:28 PM
Wonderful frame for me, only having seen these birds in a zoo (not close up). Love the composition, the detail on the bird and the background. Thank you for sharing, Stu.

Jim Crosswell
12-20-2018, 07:22 PM
The interesting composition is real cool Stu! I like the sharpness, setting and curve of the neck.

Stu Bowie
12-21-2018, 04:56 AM
I agree that the image is a bit red and would probably lower the saturation of the reds by maybe 20 points.

Thanks Isaac. I actually had already reduced the reds, but after reading your comment, I went back and agree that more red can be lowered.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback.

Arthur Morris
12-21-2018, 05:06 PM
This is superb. In a perfect world the pink flowers would have been to our right of the bird. The soft light and delicate patterns and wonderful colors work together magically.

with love, artie

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Soft Light really works well..
Love the sharp eye.

TFS

David Salem
12-31-2018, 11:00 AM
The thumbnail doesn't do this one justice. Looks fantastic in the larger size with great deal and textures. I really like the grass BG and I think the comp you chose is perfect. Well done Stu