PDA

View Full Version : better to zoom in at max or back off and use cropping?

John Hawkins
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I was wondering, If all things same, would it be better to zoom in at the max to get a picture, say at 500mm or better to back off to say 400mm and then use crop. It seems my photos seem to be too soft when zoom is at max. I hope I am making myself clear.
Thanks,
John

Desmond Chan
06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I was wondering, If all things same, would it be better to zoom in at the max to get a picture, say at 500mm or better to back off to say 400mm and then use crop. It seems my photos seem to be too soft when zoom is at max. I hope I am making myself clear.
Thanks,
John

I don't think the cropped one - especially after a big crop - would be better. If you don't print larger than 8x10, I think you could get away with it. Otherwise, I think you'd do better to use the 500 but stop down more.

Doug West
06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I say it depends.

If the goal of the image is the whole bird, and the difference between 500 and 400 is a little more extra room,
I'd opt for the 400mm. Having that little extra room will give you alot more flexability when it comes time to
cropping for different sizes for printing.

If the goal of the image is a closeup, a bird portrait if you will, I would still like some space around the bird,
once again for possible future cropping. If it means 400 vs 500, that's what I'll use. Some times at 500, a simple
step or two back can also make a worlds of difference.

Doug

Alfred Forns
06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi John

The difference between 400 and 500 is huge !!! I would try cropping in camera as much as possible but do give yourself a little room (little) Also consider the camera you are using. Pro body cameras have 100% viewfinder coverage, most prosumer have 92% coverage. Should be take into consideration while framing.

Image quality wise zooms do behave differently through out the zoom range. Would suggest to set up a target and try. Make sure the lens is on a tripod with no play then make the exposures at different zoom settings ex 300 400 500 and would try wide open but also stopping one down. The results might surprise you.

John Hawkins
06-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try these suggestions. I am learning so much here. It is very helpful.

John

Grady Weed
06-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I thought the question is a very intelligent one, something I have thought about for some time and played with. And the answer by Alfred was well thought out and very informative. It shows Alfred you have some vast experience behind you. I really appreciated that answer.

Maxis Gamez
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I like to work my subject from wide to close if I have the chance. Editors need room to put their magazine content.

See this post from Artie.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5142&highlight=working+your+subject

Thanks!