PDA

View Full Version : Golden Orb Weaver

Steve Maxson
12-11-2018, 01:08 PM
This large female Golden Orb Weaver from Costa Rica would easily cover the palm of my hand. Also notice the much smaller male behind her - hoping for a chance to mate without being eaten first. 1D X, Sigma 150mm macro, 1/40, f/16, ISO 1000, natural light, tripod. The background is a print of OOF vegetation being held by my wife.

Jonathan Ashton
12-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Steve your wife did a great job, and you didn't do too bad either!! You absolutely nailed it, the composition colours and light look spot on, the DOF is just about perfect. Did you hang around for the little guy - was it his lucky day.......or his last?

Steve Maxson
12-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks Jon. I don't know what became of the male - I suspect that males may hang around on the web for days at a time (though I don't have any specific knowledge about that).

Ravi Hirekatur
12-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Great background! Great image too! Love the colors and composition. I didn't know males are that small. No wonder they get eaten.

Allen Sparks
12-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Hi Steve,
wow - this really shows the size difference of the genders. Really interesting shot. The hairy tufts on the female's legs are quite cool too. Well done image!
Allen

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Wonderful Shot. Love the colors.

Such a difference between males and females. Thank you for the information.

TFS