PDA

View Full Version : Classic Sandhill Crane shot at Bosque

gail bisson
12-09-2018, 08:59 AM
I just got back from Bosque del Apache Refuge (with Ann P.). I thought it would be so easy to get the classic Bosque crane image but it is not so easy. Isolating a crane when it takes off is the hardest thing because they always take off in groups of 2 to 20. So you have to watch for stragglers among the hundreds of cranes standing in the pools.
Then, you have to deal with photo-bombing snow geese or ducks or blackbirds.
Then you have to get a nice background.
Then you have to have nice light.
Then you want birds with nice feathers- a lot of the cranes are missing primaries and looking pretty tatty.
I took hundreds, make that thousands of frames and got about 4 that I like!!!:eek3:
Canon 1 DX 600mm V2
SS 1/4000 F 7.1 ISO 800 taken at 7:31AM
Very small crop from RHS and bottom ~ 85% FF
Nothing cloned.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

John Mack
12-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Sounds like it was a fun time. Sweet light and a great flight pose. Details look good.

gail bisson
12-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Had a look at this once posted and I decided to reduce the yellow in the whites (thinking of you isaac!)

Bill Dix
12-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Your hard work paid off! Good thing film is so cheap these days. :w3 Lovely light, good detail, perfect flight and wing positions. Nice work getting him almost FF.

Doug Brown
12-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Classic and well-executed Sandhill Crane photo Gail! Enjoyed meeting you and Ann!

Isaac Grant
12-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Looks good Gail. Love the bird against the background. I also like the 2nd one a touch more as well :wave: Glad you two had a blast there and looking forward to more.

Dorian Anderson
12-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Shooting in large groups of birds is surprisingly difficult as I learned at Cape St. Mary's and Whitless Bay
not too far from you! Shot looks really good. Sharp across the wide wingspan with great eye contact. I also
the like redone cooler version.

gail bisson
12-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Classic and well-executed Sandhill Crane photo Gail! Enjoyed meeting you and Ann!
It was great meeting you as well Doug! Hope your workshop went well and that you had lots of good opportunities. Someday, we will have that drink together!!!
Gail

annmpacheco
12-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Hi Gail, Lovely IQ and framed sandhill crane. I like the varied BG, the mountains, and the overall colors of this image. Crane has a terrific HA, sharp to the toenails, and a great wing position. Bosque was a "blast" with my shooting buddy! Well done.

annmpacheco
12-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Hey Doug, Very nice to meet you as well and have some time at dinner with a great bunch of photographers. BTW, thanks for the grey ghost; we knew you were on to something when we spotted your car! Hope your workshop went well. Next time we'll add Dave Salem to Bosque.

Paul Burdett
12-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Hi Gail,
Not much more to add from the comments so far...fantastic detail in the wings and the background compliments so well. Looking forward to meeting you in March?
Paul

Joseph Przybyla
12-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Lovely image, as said classic Bosque. I think your repost is better, other than that I cannot see how to improve the image. Thank you for sharing, Gail.

gail bisson
12-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Yes, all booked and will be in touch closer to March! We will be in Lord Howe Island from March 17 to 24- returning to BNE on the 24th although I understand that the daily flight is often cancelled due to winds.
Gail
Gail
Hi Gail,
Not much more to add from the comments so far...fantastic detail in the wings and the background compliments so well. Looking forward to meeting you in March?
Paul

Arthur Morris
12-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Love the light, the sharpness, and the wing position. I am not a fan of the lumpy background that you get at some levels of the Chupaderas.

a

David Salem
12-12-2018, 12:07 PM
That's a beauty Gail!! Love the early morning lighting and the great wing position. A classic for sure!!

sasan nejadi
12-13-2018, 01:54 AM
Lovely light, good detail, perfect flight and wing positions .... beautiful shot ..... TFS

Stu Bowie
12-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Hi Gail, Not sure which one of your 4, this image is, but you certainly nailed everything here. Even though you shot 'thousands' of frames, as long as you nailed a few as really good keepers, the visit was all worthwhile. I hope you frame this large on one of your walls.