PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher

Jack Backs
12-02-2018, 04:25 PM
An image from last August. I don't particularly care to stay in one particular spot, but I I've never had any luck stalking kingfishers. I hate to admit it, but I
stood in one spot with light camo netting for two hours to get this. I couldn't sit down as the background would have been sky. I did at least have a downed
tree to lean against. Unfortunately it was mid morning before the bird arrived an the light was already getting a little harsh. I did manage to get quite a few
different poses, profile, over the shoulder and with prey(only a minnow) and a juvenile Green Heron. It was still scanning for prey when a couple of fishermen
in a row boat wandered by and scared it off. *&%!#$^&*. I intentionally pushed the whites a little in order to get a better detail in the darker areas. Pretty
much just a vertical crop of a horizontal image.
D500/500mmF4RRII/TC-14EIII
f8, 1/1250s, iso400

Isaac Grant
12-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Excellent field work Jack. The hard work paid dividends. Now you need to try again when the light is better. Maybe get there before first light and set up and see if you can improve on this image with nice soft morning light behind your back.

Arthur Morris
12-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Nice pose. Esp. the head angle. The perch is a bit too large and the middle tones, especially the shaded belly, are way too dark.

a

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2018, 12:20 PM
A cloudy day would work well too - no need to worry about harsh shadows or light angle. These guys are tough, staying put and concealed for long periods is mostly the best way to go. The subject is borderline big in the frame, but still OK. Nice details and background.

John Mack
12-03-2018, 04:18 PM
You did very well given the situation. The Pose is classic king fisher. I see these birds all the time. Good luck getting close to one.

Bill Dix
12-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Nice detail on this difficult species. Setting up near a favorite perch, and waiting and waiting and waiting, is the right way to go. Lovely BG. I agree it's maybe borderline large in the frame for my taste; but congratulations on getting a close shot which shows his details to advantage.

Alex Becker
12-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Congrats on getting this one. I've never been able to get close enough for a photograph. Agree it's a bit large in the frame, but sweet details and BG. Hopefully you can get more of this one. TFS