PDA

View Full Version : Starlings

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 06:18 AM
From Jan., yes Lance went back and cleaned this one up a bit:) Not much going on that day but the Starlings were doing this neat flocking thing, go up in a mass and land a few feet over. Gave it a go, yes some hot spots:(

MIII, 300f2.8+2xTC@f7.1, ISO400, 1/125

Alfred Forns
06-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I like it al lot Nonda !!! Clean edges make for a good flock image !!! I like the pattern very much and you sure did fill the frame with birds !!! Love it !!!

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks Alfred, would never have known about the clean edges w/o you and this forum!

Gail Spitler
06-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks Alfred, would never have known about the clean edges w/o you and this forum!

Hi Nonda
I am not sure exactly to what the "clean edges" refers. It seems important; can you give me some details?
I like the flock image very much.
Thanks
Gail

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Alfred can correct me if I don't say this right

Gail it means not having birds half in and half out of the frame, top and bottom I believe is the most important. Now I'm sure about anyone else's flocking birds but the ones here have a tendency not to cooperate, or follow directions well, so I remove them. Using shorter glass would do the same thing, but my brain doesn't think that far ahead.

Glad you like the image!

Gail Spitler
06-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks Nonda for the edge detail. What that really makes this image sparkle for me is the light coming through the wings.
Gail

George DeCamp
06-28-2008, 08:33 AM
I really like this one too Nonda, a nice capture! It certainly makes you look close, very nice!

Harold Davis
06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
nice one, nonda!! first thing i saw when i opened it was the clean edges!! well done!! that's a lot of birds!!!!!!!

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks George, Mr H.

They (birds) were great fun to watch.

Fabs Forns
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Terrific! Specially the clean edges all around!!!

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks much Fabs!

Julie Kenward
06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Nonda, great image! I love repetitive pattern in photographs and this one has a lovely randomness to it. Good job!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-28-2008, 09:02 PM
A truly beautiful image Nonda. Can't say anything that has not been said.
A Big Congrats,

Dan Brown
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Great job on the edges. However, IMO, it doesn't quite look natural. I have cloned out some of the birds to fashion a more natural looking flock, IMO:o. Dan Brown

Katie Rupp
06-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh wow! I've gone back and forth looking at Nonda's original and Dan's repost trying to decide which I liked better and I think a combination of the approaches would fit:) The base image is so nice with lots of detail and the translucent wings. The empty spaces Dan added seem to make it more interesting to me but lacks some of the power of the original sky-filling version. Thanks for posting and reposting.

Nonda Surratt
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Katie,

I've been going back and forth between the two myself and I think you hit the nail on the head.

Judd Patterson
06-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Nonda, I really love the light here! the backlit wings on these starlings is spectacular...love the flock image too, but sure would like to see the original before the edges were cleaned. The first post looks unnatural to me as well...when's the last time you saw a flock of birds in a rectangular flock! ;) Depending upon the original I might be tempted to go for a crop and have birds throughout the entire image...suggesting a huge flock!

Nonda Surratt
06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
I cleaned the edges all around and I wonder if leaving the ends wouldn't have been better? The flock was in a sheet and it was a huge flock.

Desmond Chan
06-30-2008, 10:23 AM
The first post looks unnatural to me as well...when's the last time you saw a flock of birds in a rectangular flock! ;) Depending upon the original I might be tempted to go for a crop and have birds throughout the entire image...suggesting a huge flock!

My thought all along :)

I don't think clean edges are necessary in this kind of photo. It just look unnatural to me. Unless the flock is small or you're far enough from it that you could put it all within the frame, chances are you won't get clean edges. And, as Judd pointed out, it help better to suggest a huge flock with birds throughout.