PDA

View Full Version : western grebe

annmpacheco
11-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Taken in New Mexico, this small pond had large trees with color that were reflecting beautifully on the water. I spotted this lone grebe and moved along the bank to set up hoping he'd pass in the reflection and he eventually moved right where I had hoped he would.

Almost full frame, cropped low and 16:9 to not include the grebes head reflection as it was very wavy. Cleaned up several small white spots in the water. Tried to adjust the ?color cast? in the white neck as I thought it had a bluish color to it. After trying several things I now am thinking it is a lighter gray color rather than pure white? Any thoughts? Also removed second catch light in that gorgeous red eye.

1Dx
840mm

ISO 500
1/2500

David Roach
11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Awesome bird... Awesome water... Love the SH, EXP, details and that eye. Only wish for a little more on the bottom (if you have it before that wavy head). TFS

Arthur Morris
11-17-2018, 06:57 PM
The water rocks. As the bird is so low in frame -- much too low for me -- I'd love to see the way head reflections ... Western and Clarke's Grebes have pure white necks and throats though the latter always seem a bit brighter to me. In your version, the neck is totally greyed out.

with love, artie

ps: sharp with a prefect head angle.

John Mack
11-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Nice and sharp. The painterly water is very nice. Agree the bird is too low in the frame.

annmpacheco
11-17-2018, 07:22 PM
The water rocks. As the bird is so low in frame -- much too low for me -- I'd love to see the way head reflections ... Western and Clarke's Grebes have pure white necks and throats though the latter always seem a bit brighter to me. In your version, the neck is totally greyed out.

with love, artie

ps: sharp with a prefect head angle.

Here's a quick redo, didn't touch the whites, WDYT? Also, set her higher in the frame... Thanks

Daniel Cadieux
11-17-2018, 07:31 PM
The comp is much better in the repost, but I prefer the "punch" of the first, especially in the water. Nice and sharp. The horizon is tilted though and needing some CW rotation. I love that eye!

Isaac Grant
11-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Really pretty Ann. Artie and Daniel touched the issues. You need to level the shot, make sure those whites are nice and white but with good details in them and bring back a bit more of that vibrance in the water in the first shot. Very cool frame.

Arthur Morris
11-18-2018, 05:11 AM
Ditto Isaac and Dan but the bird is still a bit too low in the frame for me :) Best for these to use an AF point above the center AF point.

am

annmpacheco
11-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Okay reworked again, lower in frame and BG more vibrant WDYT now?

Arthur Morris
11-18-2018, 10:50 AM
I like the three-post much better and will assume that you do not have any more room behind the bird ...I do love the extra room below.

with love, artie

Joseph Przybyla
11-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Hi Ann, beautiful bird, nicely shown in the third frame. Lovely and interesting background, browns and greens. Love the red eye, so distinctive. The white on the neck also looks better in the third frame. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
11-18-2018, 12:21 PM
I agree it got even better, but still needs a good 5 degree or so CW rotation - that will make it perfect :-)