View Full Version : Doe at the Golden Hour

Anita Rakestraw
06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
6-25--08, 8:35 p.m.
1DMkIII, 1-400mm IS, blubb, FL 400
1/60, f/7, EV 0, ISO 400

Julie Kenward
06-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Most definitely "the golden hour!" What beautiful lighting - only to be outdone by the beautiful subject and pose. It's too bad you got that one tall weed right in the middle of the body but, honestly, it doesn't even bother me that much because that expression is just to die for as is your DOF.

I wouldn't mind seeing this with a different crop, though - taking that sky off the top of the frame and surrounding that doe in all greenery might really punch the image up a notch and set off that lovely brown hide.

Desmond Chan
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this with a different crop, though - taking that sky off the top of the frame and surrounding that doe in all greenery might really punch the image up a notch and set off that lovely brown hide.

I was thinking about the same thing when I first saw this photo. The sky that could be seen through the trees look bright enough that it's like there are holes in the top part of the photo. Otherwise, the doe just looks beautiful !

Nonda Surratt
06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Wonderful light!!! And super nice pose. Not sure if the sky at the top is an issue or not, been scrolling to see how the image would look w/o.

Alfred Forns
06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I think I would like having it without the sky? Also like very much the placement giving the virtual legs room !!! Agree with previous comments !!!

Harold Davis
06-28-2008, 02:45 PM
awesome photo, anita!!! sweet light!! agree about cropping the top a bit!! would come down just below the lowest blue on the right of the frame leaving some on the left side!

Anita Rakestraw
06-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks very much, all! The main reason I kept the trees/sky was that most of my deer pics don't have anything but grass, so I kinda liked the change. But your suggestion is well taken, and Harold's specifically is a kind of compromise! :)

Katie Rupp
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Anita, this is just beautiful and I like Harold's crop suggestion. You caught the light perfectly!