PDA

View Full Version : Solitude @ Magnolia Plantation

Richard Waas
06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
This shot was taken at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston SC with my handheld Canon 40D. ISO - 200, F 7.1, 1/800 sec. 80-400 mm, 315 mm, No Flash, Auto WB.

It would have nice if the bird cooperated and turned it's head, but alas.......

Lance Peters
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Richard - lovely BG - I quite like the setting and the composition.

Looks like you have some overexposed whites - Do you have the OVER exposure blinkies set on your camera??? This way you can see on the LCD that the flashing area's are overexposed. Also checking your histogram will help as well.
In this light you should have dialed in some MINUS Compensation.

:)

Alfred Forns
06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Richard

This is a tough situation but you did well with the harsh light Did not see the compensation but should have been a ton under ... at least one full stop. The mayor influence on the exposure will be the dark bg which the meter will try to make lighter. The bird will have some influence closing down the meter.

btw if the meter would read all white the exposure would have been fine with zero compensation .. try it !!!

I like the placement and crop very much Did real well placing the bird in the open area !!!

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Love the placement of the bird! Everything else covered.

Its nice to see an image from Magnolia Gardens, a good friend of mine use to photograph there are the time, one of her favorite spots.

Shellie Dallas
06-28-2008, 05:12 PM
OK Alfred.....stupid ??? but remember I am learning!! LOL What did you mean by if the meter would read all white the exposure would have been fine with zero compensation??? Try it?? I'm confused??

Oscar Zangroniz
06-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Great composition and background Richard. Like it as presented.
Regards,

Richard Waas
06-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Thank you for all your comments. Now I just have to go back a shoot that bird again. Love Magnolia Plantation, a photographers dream..... Richard