PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic red wing

annmpacheco
11-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Gail B. and I had just arrived at our cabin near Husavik and in the hedges there was loud babbling song from some birds but I didn't know what it was... At first I thought it was some type of wren, but finally I saw a group of redwings, a type of thrush. When I was out in the fields I spotted several redwings and I was able to choose a perch as they were busy digging worms and flying back to their nests.

1Dx
840mm

ISO 1000
f 6.3
1/1000

Joseph Przybyla
11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Lovely image, Ann. Beautiful bird, nicely shown, wonderful perch and pleasing color palette. Thank you for sharing.

John Mack
11-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Very nice. love the pose on the bird and the neat perch. Excellent background.

Juan Tolentino
11-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Hello Ann, beautiful bird. I see some noise and lack of fine feather detail on the head. Was the image properly expose? (looks like the shadows were brought up??) How big of a crop is it? I also think the image is too centered (maybe a 2x3 crop works better if you have the pixels on the right side or add canvas?) I also think that there are too many twigs intersecting the bird. I would also remove the three (or four) twigs by themselves in the bottom of the frame. Sorry, I think I'm getting pickier with age :-) . TFS.

Isaac Grant
11-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Great bird which I still have not seen. Excellent pose and background as well. Bummer re the twigs hitting the tail. Do not mind the others on bottom as much. Bird does have a bit of an odd look. Not sure if from a touch too much NR or maybe the lack of warm light is just making this guy look a touch pale.

David Cowling
11-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Lovely pose, great background and realistic perch. Agree with the comments about the interfering twigs but difficult to obtain a clear view with this type of plant/shrub. Like the red patches on the birds breast.

annmpacheco
11-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Thanks all, I agree the delicate twigs are too prominent and intersecting and I could have cropped 2x3 but on the right is another plant that would have spoiled things. Properly exposed, did lift shadows, and only applied NR in DPP...

Tobie Schalkwyk
11-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Beautiful bird begging to be snapped Ann! It is almost identical to our Groundscraper Thrush here in SA. Lovely detail with eye contact as bonus!

Arthur Morris
11-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Ditto all the positives and suggestions. I'd add that opening up the dark tones a bit would improve it.

with love, artie

arash_hazeghi
11-11-2018, 02:47 PM
nice pose and good details, I like the HA, if mine, I'd clone out the twig close the chest area and leave a touch more room around

TFS