PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Flamingo

Stu Bowie
11-05-2018, 01:45 PM
I much prefer the Lesser Flamingo's due to their dark beaks and red eyes - much more attractive than the Greater Flamingo's. I was over the moon to have captured some of these during a trip to Cape Town, as they are not normally seen down there. I was visiting the Strandfontein Sewerage works when these guys flew overhead. I singled out one subject and managed to capture this banking angle. Taken early morning, just after the sun had risen.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/2500
F/8.0
ISO 640

Hand Held

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2018, 01:52 PM
nice image Stu, great view of the underwings, never seen this bird in flight and banking so a pleasure to view. Dark BG and the light both perfect. I think there is too much empty space in this frame and would go for a vertical, it would also show the details of the bird much better. I feel the frame right before this one with the bird slightly angled towards us would have been a stunner if you have it, it's a bummer the bird was molting and the missing primaries but not much you could do about that

TFS

Isaac Grant
11-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Really pretty Stu. Love the light and the pose against the dark background. I like the crop as is.

Dorian Anderson
11-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Looking good with the 2x! This underside backing pose is really nice, very different from what I've seen of flamingos. The subtle pink tone in the BG is really nice as well!

John Mack
11-05-2018, 06:28 PM
The light and background make this one. Nice pose on the bird. I have never seen a lesser flamingo.

Jake Levin
11-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Nice image! I had no idea the eye was that brilliant red colour. I actually prefer it as a horizontal, as for me it gives the bird space to fly into. You really did well to capture this level of detail with a 2x on your lens. Exposure looks perfect as well.

Thanks for sharing this!

Arthur Morris
11-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Ditto Arash and the rest of the positives. I too far prefer these handsome birds to the paler, pink Greaters.

As presented, I would prefer a small crop from below over a crop to a vertical.

with love and TFS, artie

Stu Bowie
11-06-2018, 11:17 AM
I think there is too much empty space in this frame and would go for a vertical, it would also show the details of the bird much better.

Thanks Ari. To be honest, I first tried a vertical crop, but thought it too tight. Yes, one can move the crop tool around to suit. As Artie has reinforced the point, I will give it a go.

Joseph Przybyla
11-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Beautiful bird, nicely shown. As I have never seen one before a treasure indeed. Beautiful light and background. Thank you for sharing, Stu.

annmpacheco
11-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Hi Stu, I just love the colors of the Lesser; "less is more!" well done with the 2x's!

William Dickson
11-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Looking good Stu. Beautiful colours on the bird and the BG presents it well. I like your chosen crop as it 'fits' this bird with the trailing legs. Nice one

Will

David Salem
11-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Looks great Stu! Not a bird you see posted in flight to often so congratulations getting this one. Great-looking colors on the under wings and the dark gray background sets off the pink bird beautifully. Well done getting this lesser flamingo.

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Very nice Image. This is the first time I saw these birds in this Flight pose.

TFS